FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 Camera Replacement

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Lavelle
EX-3 Camera Replacement
on Feb 15, 2018 at 7:52:40 pm

I have been very happy with my Sony EX-3 but I am getting close to finding a replacement. We went with a couple of new Sony PXW-X160 cams. I am not real happy with them. I prefer the viewfinder setup with the EX-3. The PXW-X160's have a fold out LCD but it is useless in daylight and the rear viewfinder is awkward especially with the tripod set up tall. It looks like the PMW-300K1 would be a good replacement but it runs $4000 more than the X160's. Audio has also been a problem with the 160's.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: EX-3 Camera Replacement
on Feb 15, 2018 at 10:36:16 pm

I am not sure what type of work you do, but the popular Panasonic HC-X1 seems to have a lot of features at a reasonable price and it has a 1" sensor.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 15, 2018 at 11:10:56 pm

It's not clear what your needs are and do you anticipate any changes.
The EX3 has an interchangeable lens. The X160 does not so perhaps that's not a factor. The 300K1 does.
There the X180 as well as the X200 but if you didn't like the X160 you may not like those either.

Do you anticipate the need for 4K?
Are interchangeable lenses a factor?

You might consider the FS5 or FS7

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:09:40 pm

Second vote for the FS7 and its siblings, here. If you need interchangeable lenses, it's a freakin' workhorse. Shoot in standard Rec709 gammas for day-to-day, switch to Slog3 for the more color-intensive projects, rig it up however you want. E-mount is super versatile, and easily takes just about any adapted glass you already own.

C200 might be a contender, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]