FORUMS: list search recent posts

shoulder-mount Sony FS7m2

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
shoulder-mount Sony FS7m2
on Nov 8, 2017 at 3:46:29 pm

There are quite a few shoulder mounts out there for the FS7 -- too many to try them all. So I'm wondering whether anyone has found a good way to shoulder-mount the FS7. I tried the Zacuto Pro Baseplate, and took it off as it added weight and didn't really solve the problem, and have returned to using the mini-shoulder pad on the Sony. One solution I've seen involves adding an adapter (Sony's XDCA) and V-mount battery to the back of the camera. Again, I want to avoid adding weight.

Part of my difficulty is that the Sony viewfinder, with the magnifier attached, puts my face so far back. The solution may be as basic as re-rigging the viewfinder attachment. But I'm also trying to keep the rig as simple as possible.

Your ideas are most welcome.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: shoulder-mount Sony FS7m2
on Nov 11, 2017 at 10:48:02 pm

Bob, this is a common problem now that many of today's cameras do not have extended view finders. With the old shoulder mounted Betas or my DSR 300 there was no problem. For my PXW-Z150 I use a simple light weight shoulder mount with a front arm and pad for the chest. However, my eye would not reach far enough for a magnifier unit. I merely shade the screen with one of the many available shades to keep out strong light. Can you not manage that way?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 12, 2017 at 3:48:50 am

Thanks Michael. I'd love to see a picture of your rig.

Sony's viewfinder has a great magnifying hood and eyecup, which are very functional. But the added depth of the hood puts the eyepiece way too far back for me. I have to hold the camera in front of my shoulder, not on it. All I need (and what I haven't been able to find) is a longer arm to position the viewfinder further forward. Sony's arm for the Model 2 is no longer a simple, easy-to-substitute round rod -- it's got six sides (which is great for stability).

I know that with enough accessories (rails, arms, etc.) you can put a viewfinder almost anywhere, but I want to keep the camera as lightweight as possible.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Nov 13, 2017 at 5:38:06 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Nov 13, 2017 at 5:42:49 pm

Hey Bob, maybe you could post a shot of your setup? I shoot the FS7 all day long on my shoulder with no rig aside from a replacement arm assembly for the smart grip that makes changing the angle and length a little easier. I get a little tired after a lot of shooting because the balance isn't great (it's pretty nose-heavy, and since I don't use the V-mount batteries, I don't get the counterbalance of the batteries in the back), but I have no problems getting the eyepiece where I want it. When I'm shooting studio or tripod, I position the viewfinder towards the back of the camera and remove the eyepiece, but when I'm shoulder-mounting it, I pull the rod out, flip it around the opposite direction to the front. Are you doing the same?

This may be a FS7 mkI vs mkII issue--I'm on the mkI.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 13, 2017 at 6:36:31 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I use exactly the same positioning of viewfinder. I don't have any special setup - just as-is from Sony, and not much has changed ergonomically from m1 to m2. *

Where did you get the replacement arm assembly for the smart grip?

I've also noticed that the Sony arm-and-grip combo is too far to the right. It would be very nice to be able to shift the grip a little to the left, so it is closer to the center of the camera, left-to-right.

* I Googled about the changes from m1 to m2, and found this interesting line (from cinema5d): "The LCD attachment was improved. They’ve replaced the round rod with a square one, so the LCD doesn’t tilt so easily. Unfortunately, the rod is still too short for proper shoulder work with the big loupe." Agreed! Thank you, cinema5d!

Sony, are you listening?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Nov 13, 2017 at 6:48:13 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Nov 13, 2017 at 6:50:18 pm

I use Shape's FS7 arm. It doesn't allow left-to-right adjustment, but I can change angle and length on the fly very easily.

As for the loupe positioning, mine looks like this (this isn't me, but this is how I set it up). We must have radically different head shapes, because for me, this positioning works fine, and the extra length of the Shape arm makes the grip pretty comfortable. Maybe you're working with smaller primes (I usually have a Canon 24-105L and Metabones Speedbooster on it) than I am, so it feels too short in the front?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 13, 2017 at 8:21:02 pm

[Blaise Douros] "We must have radically different head shapes"

You know, I think you're right. Judging by hat size, I have a larger-than-average melon.

If only its contents were as big as the container.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Nov 13, 2017 at 10:20:15 pm

Sounds like you have more room for ideas than I do--it's important to let them bounce around in there for awhile!

So here's my last suggestion; if you took that rod down to your local machine shop, it probably wouldn't be too hard for them to gin you up a pretty similarly-sized rod in a longer length out of aluminum, so you wouldn't add too much weight. Beyond that, looking for viewfinder extenders yielded this thing, which might do the trick?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 18, 2017 at 9:51:07 pm

Bob, you requested a picture of my shoulder support. I have a couple on my i phone and could E Mail them to you if you don't mind putting your E Mail in a post. I don't know how you get a picture on to this forum. Thinking about your problem, I'm thinking that my support might not be substantial enough for your FS7. I used mine for years with the EX 1 and now with the Z150, works for me, especially when in tight corners and moving around shooting docs.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 19, 2017 at 9:39:52 am

Thanks Michael. I see the pic on your Vimeo page. Is that the mount?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 19, 2017 at 4:20:14 pm

Bob, I can't find that picture on Vimeo but looking at my files I think that it must be. You only see the frond bit, the curved piece just hooks over the shoulder. There is a quick release mechanism when you need the tripod. The brace is really light, I hold the camera and press the record with my right hand leaving the left for focus etc etc . I'm left eyed and hood the screen, no magnification so focus can be tricky.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]