FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY PXW X70- artifacts in bottom 3rd- and non-existent tech support!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie Elbin
SONY PXW X70- artifacts in bottom 3rd- and non-existent tech support!
on Oct 4, 2017 at 4:23:51 pm

After shooting in 1080/60i at 60fps (because of neon lighting overseas), I've found that the lower 1/3 shows green artifacts when downloading to hard drives.
When playing back in camera, the footage looks fine. When playing back through Catalyst Browse the picture plays staccato, without the artifacts.
I have no idea how to save my footage onto a hard drive without seeing those green lower third artifacts and saving 'bad' footage, even though the camera appears to work fine and is still under warranty, and to make my pain even worse, I can't get the tech support folks on Sony's broadcast pro support to return calls! Anyone else have these artifact issues? And has anyone had any luck reaching Sony pro tech support?! (I mean, I know Sony is operating at losses, but if we buy their products shouldn't we get their support?!)

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: SONY PXW X70- artifacts in bottom 3rd- and non-existent tech support!
on Oct 9, 2017 at 9:14:44 am

Hi,
a long shot suggestion - On Catalyst Browse, go to File Properties and look at the Related Files section. Does it reference multiple files?

When transferring your media to disk, are you copying the whole card? or just the files you want?

regrds

Return to posts index

Debbie Elbin
on Oct 10, 2017 at 11:13:11 pm

Hey Mark:
Thanks for the response.
As to your questions, second one first: I copy the clips I want from the camera card.
I'm not sure what you mean by multiple files. There are multiple clips, but not multiple files, in the XDROOT folder, which is what I use
when shooting XAVC long HD.
Thoughts?
Tx!
Debbie

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Oct 11, 2017 at 7:48:58 am

Debbie,
just had a surf around the web, that provided a few hints. It did confirm one of my suspicions. On later pro camcorders Sony package the clip in a .mxf file. One of features of this format is that it can have 'related files' and you must always treat these as a group. So think in terms of copying the entire folder and not just individual clips. You may not have selected a mode that produces mxf files so that wouldn't apply to you. However Catalyst Browse will report if there are related files.

Which Editor are you using to look at the clips ? I've added a link below where similar problems are discussed. If you are using FCPX on a mac that should be helpful.

If you like, you can post a clip on Dropbox (or similar) and I will have a look at it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7163149?start=0&tstart=0

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Oct 18, 2017 at 7:32:49 pm

Debbie,

Adobe just released version 2018 of PPro and this problem could be fixed in there.

If you would like to post a small clip somewhere that has the problem I will run it through.
I think this is the same problem as was reported for the FS5 but it is just a guess.

Return to posts index

Debbie Elbin
on Oct 20, 2017 at 10:44:16 am

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate your input on this!
On my end, talked to several post supervisors plus camera maven and the issue seems to be memory and processor size of the laptop I was working on. Upgrading to higher resolution and more memory has helped to find that the RAW footage is fine, but the format needs to be changed to save it to a portable HD. We're now trying to figure out the most suitable format for the files in question.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 21, 2017 at 6:49:37 pm

Yes Debbie, you may be solving your immediate problem but, as has been pointed out by someone on this thread, the files from these Sony cameras should not be broken up. The complete file, maybe named 'Private' should be transferred, not just the clips. People have had all sorts of problems arise when they try to dismember these files.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Debbie Elbin
on Oct 22, 2017 at 1:06:54 am

Thanks for your 'heads up'.
I do in fact transfer the entire file, not just selects of clips.
So in this case, that's not the problem. Seems to be more of a computer memory and processor speed issue. Who knew?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]