FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony fdr-ax100 picture profile settings?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Mills
Sony fdr-ax100 picture profile settings?
on Aug 13, 2017 at 2:40:29 am

HI. I brought both a Sony FDR-AX100 camera for multicam filming with my Sony PXW-X70. I was advised by a professional film sales rep that they are essentially the same cameras, with the same lens, sensor, codecs etc. only different features and would produce matching films.
As it turns out the AX100 can not adjust picture profiles (other than auto settings i.e. 'fireworks', 'portrait' etc.)
The PXW can adjust picture profiles so I figure I need to source the AX100s' picture profile settings.
Does anyone know the sony fdr-ax100 picture profile settings?
OR
Does anyone have a better suggestion for the best way ( for a relative amateur) to colour match the 2 cameras?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony fdr-ax100 picture profile settings?
on Aug 13, 2017 at 12:52:41 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Aug 13, 2017 at 12:54:56 pm

Use an X-Rite Video chart, point both cameras at it, hook them both up to scopes, adjust a PP of the X70.
Otherwise shot the chart and create a profile for the X70 in your NLE matching the cameras.

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Aug 14, 2017 at 9:28:58 am

whilst craig's method is the CORRECT way to do it, a fast and dirty, and not so accurate way is (having used sony mismatched but same sensored cameras in the past) is to simply use a matching preset on both (eg. 5.2k sunlight) and then tweak in post.

Return to posts index

Toby Mills
on Aug 14, 2017 at 10:02:28 am

Thanks Leslie.
That is currently what we are doing, and are trying to avoid.

Return to posts index

Toby Mills
on Aug 14, 2017 at 9:59:22 am

Thanks Craig.
I presume your first suggestion would involve creating a PP from the AX for the PXW?
Sounds a relatively simple solution ( if you now how to create a PP using a scope).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 14, 2017 at 2:27:40 pm

It can be time consuming especially if you're not entirely familiar with all the tweaks possible in the X70 PP settings. Using scopes though helps you see the results of what each tweak does. Trying to eyeball would be maddening.

Sometimes the easier thing is just shoot the Video Chart (takes just a few seconds) and you can create a profile in your color correction software. You do want to make sure the exposure is correct during the shoot because if one camera highlights are blown out or one is deep in noise in the shadows, they won't really match. It's much easier to match a chart on scopes in your NLE than trying to eyeball a shot. Even a straight shot without the chart can be done if both cameras are pointed at the same shot. You can create a split screen in post to compare one camera to the other. The challenge is that the lighting may not match given the different angles during the shoot.

Return to posts index

Toby Mills
on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:29:37 am

Thanks again Craig.
Thanks for your assistance and patience....It has helped me to frame my question.

Am I right in thinking that I could shoot a colour chart with the AX and use this to create a PXW PP?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]