FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fs7M2 Slog3 footage looks flat in EVF but when I bring into FCPX it looks way different

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Lane
Fs7M2 Slog3 footage looks flat in EVF but when I bring into FCPX it looks way different
on Jun 6, 2017 at 2:42:27 am

Let me preface with that this is a new camera for me, but I HAVE taken Doug Jensen's 6-hour course and Allister Chapman's courses and I have done extensive YouTube learning on this camera, as well.

I am shooting in Cine EI in Slog3cine and in the EVF it looks flat and great, like it is supposed to... I am exposing correctly with bright whites at 60 IRE.

I do not think I have any LUTs applied... Every thing is turned off in the menu, but when I bring the footage into FCPx the footage looks like it has color and contrast applied to it. If I look at the Root folder of the card, under "clip" and play one of the .mxf files it looks flat like it should.

When I shoot is Custom mode and choose Slog as my gamma the footage looks flat in EVF and flat in FCPx.

WHAT am I doing wrong here?? Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

leslie wand
Re: Fs7M2 Slog3 footage looks flat in EVF but when I bring into FCPX it looks way different
on Jun 6, 2017 at 3:35:21 am

what are you looking at - monitor, tv. calibrated screen?

what card, if any are you using to get video output to a monitor?

Return to posts index

Jack Lane
Re: Fs7M2 Slog3 footage looks flat in EVF but when I bring into FCPX it looks way different
on Jun 6, 2017 at 4:44:00 am

I am looking first on the supplied EVF of the fs7m2 and after importing to computer HD on a calibrated iMac 27" monitor...

Are you referring to graphics card? If so, I am using AM Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB.

If referring to "memory" I am using a 128gb G series XQD card.

Attached are some screenshots to show the difference between looking in root file at .mxf file and what it looks like on FCPx.

11428_fcpandcamera.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

Jack Lane
on Jun 6, 2017 at 4:55:09 am

I also posted this on the Sony forum and received a solving answer from MarkF...

"If you are using (I believe) ver 10.3 or beyond in FCPX, it will partly read the camera metadata and apply the Sony conversion lut automatically to your footage. You can check this by selecting the clip in the timeline and then looking at the inspector window. In the drop down "metadata view" tab - choose "settings" and then see what shows up on the log processing line (it'll likely be Sony S-log3/S-gamut3 cine). If you change this to "none", you'll see your original s log footage again.
To take off the automatically applied lut to all clips, simply select them all in the clip gallery, and then choose "none" again in the log processing area of the inspector window.
Hoping this will get changed in an update eventually - or even better, allow you to use your own custom imported luts instead of the 8 options they currently have."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]