FORUMS: list search recent posts

repairing MXF files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Wood
repairing MXF files
on Feb 13, 2017 at 4:44:28 pm

I have an MXF file recorded from a PMW F55 that won't open in any NLE or editing software. I've checked with the Treasured app from Aero Quartet, and the file contains the full content, but needs repairing.

As much as I'd like to shell out nearly 500 USD to repair the file, I'd prefer to find a.n.other way to repair the MXF file.

As the video footage is complete, I'm assuming it's to do with headers/metadata?

I've attempted to open/import into Encoder, Premiere, AVID, DaVinici, Catalyst, MPEG Streamclip and many others, all so far without success. I know the footage is there - Treasured displays it - but I can't fix the MXF to get it to import.

> I have contacted Sony and am waiting on a response.
> The original cards (SxS Pro) used to shoot the footage are no longer available.
> Content is XAVC-I 4K shot at 48fps
> Filesize is 66.18GB
> I have multiple copies of the same file on different backup drives, all with the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Wood
Itasca Films

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: repairing MXF files
on Feb 13, 2017 at 6:31:22 pm

Have you tested with VLC player?
If you can play the video there, you might be able re-encode (yes that would be lossy) with an ffmpeg encoder.
You may also went to test with the free Telestream Switch. If that plays the file then it might be worth it to pay for the higher end version to export/encode.

Return to posts index

Michael Wood
on Feb 14, 2017 at 12:18:40 pm

The file has been attempted to import in almost every NLE and transcode software, inc VLC. The only app that'll read it is Treasured (http://aeroquartet.com/), which indicates the footage is intact within the MXF, and that the MXF is repairable. Unfortunately AQ are a Spanish company, and I need someone in the UK who can do the same.

The MXF metadata is corrupt, rather than the footage itself.

Thanks,

Mike Wood
mike.wood@itascafilms.co.uk

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:02:31 pm

Then your option would be aeroquartet or wait until you find someone in the UK. At some point this becomes a business decision on how badly you need the video and wait you're willing to risk losing it.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:37:33 am

I know FCPX reads MXF directly. Maybe it can repair.

Good luck!

Mike
'Burbs of Detroit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]