FORUMS: list search recent posts

sony lenses

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
sony lenses
on Feb 12, 2017 at 11:33:47 pm

listening to reviews. ran into one from a pro film maker who went into a lot of detail on the FS7 but back in 2015.

He said that the sony lenses were really poor for manually focus and recommended the Metabones speed adapter.
I need one anyway cause I have a collection of Canon cinema lenses but had planned on getting a starter kit including a Sony zoom which could handle all but the cinema or portrait style shoots.

But having heard that not sure. Has anything changed in the last 2 years in terms of Sony lenses?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: sony lenses
on Feb 17, 2017 at 1:27:20 pm

Things have changed a little bit in the past couple years. Sony have listened to customer feedback and they now have a new kit lens. The FS7 kit lens was the SELP28135G and the new kit lens is the SELP18110G. It is a little wider than the original, but there is a good review on Alister Chapman's "xdcam user" blog. This lens is sort of linked to the new FS7 Mark II, which has an improved lens mounting mechanism. I did ask a vendor if the SELP18110G will go on an FS7 and they said yes! But caveat emptor, it would be better to have someone make you that promise that would take it back ☺ You could just wait for reviews, this is all very current.

Is the lens (SELP28135G ) hard to focus? I would say somewhat. I like to measure it out. The Peaking works well on the camera but I get a small difference when looking at the distance measured from Peaking and the tape measure. Remember the camera has a focus mag (button 4 on the FS7, not sure about the FS7 Mark II as it has more buttons and may have renamed them). So you have the tools to get a good focus.

Before I bought the FS7 people said the kit lens "is great value for money". I think that statement is a little bit disingenuous. I wouldn't disagree with it but would add "but you still need to be sure that it will do the job you need it to do". I was sort of expecting the FS7 to be better than my old pmw 200 but that camera has better zoom and is F1.9 vs F4. Now I'm not too disappointed about that, as one of the reasons I got the camera was to be able to put lenses on it.

One of the things I understand now is that it is very expensive to put a good zoom lens on a large sensor camera. This was well known within the community but there was an expectation that Sony would improve the kit lens. They have done so but budget sensitive users (like me) would have preferred even bigger improvements.

You Canon lenses should work well with the SpeedBooster and FS7, possibly most users do this. There are a couple of caveats though, firstly there was early software compatibility problems so get the latest software from both vendors. There is also a lingering suggestion that the SpeedBooster pins can jam. So read widely on that.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: sony lenses
on Feb 18, 2017 at 7:30:41 am

Thanks Mark,
My conclusions after some more research. I'm gong to go with a Metabones T Smart Adapter Mark IV but not the speed booster which does not work with the PXW-FS7M2 or the A7Sll.

I'm going to use only canon lenses with both cams including a 24-70 zoom or something similar but mostly primes.

We'll use a follow focus control and manual focus. If it turns out that the new updates allow for auto focus fine but I doubt it. Wired focus doesn't make sense to me and quality video zooms for high end sensors are expensive. Better to just swap lenses when needed and use the distance from subject and good lighting to create the shot.

I've seen footage from the FS7 and really like the look.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]