FORUMS: list search recent posts

avchd/bdmv/mts

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Samuels
avchd/bdmv/mts
on Feb 6, 2017 at 4:05:13 pm

Hi.

I have been shooting on a Sony PXW X70 for the first time recently and I'm trying to get my head around the AVCHD files.

Could someone explain, in layman's terms where possible, exactly what each of the AVCHD, BDMV and MTS files/folders actually are?

Why are the so many levels of folders to navigate through to get to the actual footage? I'm working on an Apple Mac and if I want to preview the footage in Finder I have to go through the rigmarole of Right clicking on the AVCHD file > Show Package Contents > Right click on BDMV file > Show Package Contents > Open Stream folder > MTS files

I'm sure there's a good reason for it all but it seems very convoluted to a newcomer.

Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: avchd/bdmv/mts
on Feb 6, 2017 at 4:52:18 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Feb 6, 2017 at 4:54:13 pm

AVCHD
It's a file format based on AVC (H.264).
At the file system level, the structure of AVCHD is derived from the Blu-ray Disc specification, but is not identical to it.
The BDMV (Blu-Ray Disc Movie Video) directory contains media files.
The MTS file is the Media file (the container of the media itself) MPEG Transport Stream.

Open the AVCHD in Quicktime X and you'll see your Clips if you recording in that mode.

If you're using the camera in XAVC mode the MXF files are in PRIVATE > XDROOT > CLIP

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 7, 2017 at 6:18:44 pm

I agree with Craig and you really should shoot in the new Sony Pro codec, XAVC. The AVCH codec is an inferior 'prosumer codec.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Feb 7, 2017 at 9:35:18 pm

Thanks for the info everyone, it's been helpful.

Could you explain why XAVC is the better of the two?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 8, 2017 at 9:55:06 am

Firstly it is new technology and makes much better use of the improved images created by the modern sensors. Although it still compresses, apparently the compression is more sophisticated and has less effect on picture quality. I'm only repeating what I've been told, particularly by Sony at one of their "days" down at Pinewood Studios.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 8, 2017 at 1:41:04 pm

One of the most important aspects of XAVC-L is that it can be 10 bit 4:2:2 which allows for much more aggressive color grading, FX work, chroma keying as needed. It also allows for higher data rates (better potential quality) as the codec is less likely to have artifacts when compressing complex subjects.

One of Sony's sites explains

What are the differences between XAVC and AVCHD?

XAVC format provides 4K/HD, 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 and 12/10/8 bit sampling which can cover a wide range of applications from professional to consumer products, from high-end 4K production through to online streaming and consumer imaging applications. AVCHD, by contrast, is capped at 24Mbps for 1080 50i/50i or 28Mbps for 1080 50P/60P at 4:2:0 8bit sampling and is fully compatible with the Blu-ray disc format. Both XAVC and AVCHD formats adopt the same MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression technology, but there is no compatibility between them.

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Feb 7, 2017 at 12:07:26 am

of course the simplest method is to download sony's FREE browse app and use it to view and if necessary transcode...

Return to posts index

Harold Dongle
on Feb 12, 2017 at 3:31:24 pm

After reading your question, I was curious about what the .CPI files are, and found this link. It has a handy diagram, and explains the AVCHD file structure pretty succinctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]