FORUMS: list search recent posts

FS7 shooting ProRes workflow. Thoughts?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Linke
FS7 shooting ProRes workflow. Thoughts?
on Feb 2, 2017 at 3:59:21 pm

Our company has just purchased an FS7. We also purchased the XDCA-FS7, which allows us to shoot ProRes in the camera. Not having to transcode XAVC to ProRes is a nice timesaver in post. We're still editing on FCP 7, but we're probably going to switch to FCP X or Premiere sometime in the future.

Does anyone out there have any experience shooting and editing an all-ProRes workflow? If so, what advice could you share?

One hitch I've already discovered is that the Catalyst Browse/Prepare programs don't show ProRes files in the XDROOT structure. It'll see them if I pull just the MOV files out and put them in a regular folder by themselves.

Chris Linke
PRC Digital Media
http://www.prcdigital.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: FS7 shooting ProRes workflow. Thoughts?
on Feb 4, 2017 at 9:02:17 pm

Chris, I feel that it's safer to shoot in the new (greatly improved) Sony codec, XAVC and through Catalyst Browse or EditReady, transpose to the codec of your choice. In my case I use EditReady and go to ProRes 422 HQ. I'm using the Z150, not the FS7.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Linke
on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:23:31 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Chris, I feel that it's safer to shoot in the new (greatly improved) Sony codec, XAVC"

That's interesting. Could you tell me why you feel it's safer?

-Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:57:48 pm

When I said 'safer' I was not implying any danger in not doing so, merely that this new Sony codec is technically superior in almost every way to other older codecs and is being adopted by many in the professional world. The quality is being retained, despite the necessary compression, and, as others have noted, treatment of colour space is superior. If it is available on a given camera, I see no reason whatsoever in not using it.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 12, 2017 at 10:59:39 pm

get a video recorder like
Atomos Shogun Inferno (disclaimer: I'm in the market for one but don't know the best model for my needs yet)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247728-REG/atomos_atonfi001_shogun_...

it will bypass the internal compression giving you better quality, record in pro res though FCP X can handle either codec, it will transcode it upon input and this will save you time.
Can replace expensive media cards.
gives you a very nice monitor with features which helps you record.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:42:17 am

I shoot with a Z150 and FCPX handles XAVC directly. It will transcode to ProRes on output. It may be doing something in the background while I'm editing, but I've never had to wait for anything.

Might wanna try. Pretty cheap. Works well for me.

Good luck.

Mike
'Burbs of Detroit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]