FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hours on PXW-FS7 - how many is too many?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julius Miller
Hours on PXW-FS7 - how many is too many?
on Jan 17, 2017 at 4:14:49 am

Hi there

I am looking at a second hand FS7 (a very good price).

Just wanting to hear what peoples thoughts are on what the maximum hours are on a camera like this.

How many is too many?

If the camera is in good condition (i.e. not abused) whats is a comfortable amount of hours to consider is OK?

Do the sensors have a 'life span'?

Thanks or your quick responses!

Return to posts index

leslie wand
Re: Hours on PXW-FS7 - how many is too many?
on Jan 17, 2017 at 5:06:15 am

i had this question a few years back buying an ex1...

it's more a question of how the camera's been treated rather than the hours on it. the ex1 i'd been looking at had 4,280 hours on it! in actual fact the camera was in immaculate condition having been used (almost untouched) in a studio setting as a wide shot - the whole studio system was NEVER turned off other than for routine maintenance. i was hesitant and by the time i'd talked to my tech (he saw no problem with it), it had sold to a cameraman i knew. he used it for about two years before moving on to another camera. it was still working perfectly when he passed it on to a friend to use as a b-roll.

of course ymmv, but since there's no real 'mechanical' wear as such, and what there is is easily checked out (zoom, iris, focus), hinges, whathaveyou, i think the cameras general condition more important.

Return to posts index

Julius Miller
on Jan 17, 2017 at 5:14:23 am

Many Thanks Leslie

So about 900 hours is OK if the camera is in good physical condition i imagine?

Thanks again

Julius

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Jan 17, 2017 at 6:08:51 am

i wouldn't worry about 900hrs especially if the price is right - as long as the camera looks and operates as it should.

i don't know for sure but i'm not aware of modern sensors 'ageing', i certainly remember burn in on tubes and damage caused by direct sunlight, but as far as ccd / cmos goes the only problem might possibly be dead pixels - i automatically check for them on any camera i'm looking at, stills or video - and since it's interchangeable lenses, dust on the sensor, etc.,

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Jan 17, 2017 at 6:10:49 am

btw. i'd also check why it's being sold - upgrade, not working (commercially), etc.,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]