FORUMS: list search recent posts

FS5 vs. FS7 Thoughts (open response)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sejin Kim
FS5 vs. FS7 Thoughts (open response)
on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:14:43 am

This thread is for me to see what other people think about each of these cameras, so if you have anything, please feel free to list it here.
What are your thoughts on the usability, quality, use case/scenarios, or personal feelings on the Sony FS5 and FS7, assuming that an external recorder is being used with a Metabones adapter to the Canon EF mount?

Return to posts index

leslie wand
Re: FS5 vs. FS7 Thoughts (open response)
on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:43:46 am

it would probably help to know what you're main use would be - run 'n' gun, studio, greenscreen, etc., etc.,

Return to posts index

Sejin Kim
on Nov 23, 2016 at 3:35:26 am

Probably just as a general use (general as in everything) camera. It would be used for studio use on one day, then go out on a run-and-gun shoot the next, and end up shooting a football game the next day.

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Nov 23, 2016 at 8:54:21 am

i have to say i've also looked at both, but since i'm not worried about 4k (at the moment) that wasn't a consideration, what was was glass...

similar to you i'm a hooker, whatever pays the bills, one day short form doco, the next a corporate greenscreen, the next a tvc, though my main income is derived from shooting horses (love writing that ;-)). i shoot horses for the major sales, private sales, stallions, and sometimes stud profiles, so i can't look to any one situation and plan around it.

so what's keeping me shooting with an ex1 is simply the fact that the 14x zoom is invaluable to me. if i want similar on either of those cameras it's going to cost me big time. the kit zoom is useless for MY work, and i'm not that happy trying to adapt a b4 to work effectively.

if i do upgrade it'll probably be to a 300 once it goes 4k, though i have had a look at the 150, but it's not THAT much of an improvement over my ancient ex1 ;-(

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 24, 2016 at 10:32:34 am

For me it would be 'no contest'. As an EX 1 user I looked at both the FS7 and FS5 as a possible replacement. Whilst the FS5 is a convenient size and weight I hated the lens. No three rings (focus, zoom and iris) and whilst the variable ND is clever it didn't seem to me to be the proper way to regulate exposure.

The FS7 is a 'proper' camera, with all you would want. I, as an old man, found it too heavy and a bit cumbersome, but otherwise it seems ideal. I'm a documentary film maker and need the versatility that this camera (and my EX 1) offers. In the end I went for the smaller Z150, which does have its drawbacks (ramping f stops on zooming), but the new Sony Clear Scan, which extends the tele end of the zoom without too much degradation) is a winner for doc. makers. But, if you can manage it for active run and gun then the FS7 is, in my opinion, the best Sony camera if you don't want the big boys like the F65 etc.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Nov 24, 2016 at 11:41:59 am

without meaning to hijack this thread...

michael, how do you find the 150 vs ex1 for hd only?

i should point out i usually shoot doco's, but i rarely have to contend with low light situations, etc.,

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 24, 2016 at 2:09:43 pm

Although the low light performance of the Z150 is not brilliant because the lens only opens to f2.8 and only then at a wide angle setting. However, it is fantastic when gain is raised, even up to +15db. I'm currently shooting a doc in terrible lighting conditions and have had to use this amount of gain and the picture is still very good. Sony are using their very latest sensor technology which has made this possible, also making their 'Clear Scan' tele extension viable. So, bearing this in min d, I would say that the low light performance is pretty good. I think that it is better than with the EX 1, with that camera, increasing the gain can be a problem.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Nov 25, 2016 at 8:12:57 am

thanks michael, much appreciated.

i think i'll probably continue with my ex1 for a while longer - as i wrote, i very rarely have to deal with low light situations, and when i do i actually want that grainy low light look, in fact i've even had to add it i post on a couple of occasions ;-)

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 26, 2016 at 1:39:58 pm

Very wise Leslie, I was tempted to do the same, the EX 1 is a fabulous camera but the technological advances in the matter of sensors over the ten years or so have prompted my decision.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Nov 29, 2016 at 10:02:22 am

i would really like to know how you're finding the 150 after having some experience with it.

if you have the time and inclination you can either reply here, or email me directly at leslie.wand( at )live.com.au

thanks

leslie

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 29, 2016 at 12:42:04 pm

Leslie, I am now a few weeks into shooting a doc with the new Sony Z150 so do have some observations concerning this camera.

As you may know, I have successfully used the EX 1 these last eight years or so, and, quite honestly was reluctant to change. My main reason to do so was not for the 4K capability, that could come much later on as far as I am concerned, it was to have the larger, mush improved sensor in the Z150. Eight years technological improvement is a lifetime in today's ridiculously fast developing world. I mistakenly thought that the larger sensor would enable shallower DOF but I was wrong, it's about the same. This is partly due to the fact that the f stop ramps, depending on the focal length at the time. Even at the wide angle you only have f2.8 and at any sort of tele you have f4 max, also, the iris and focus rings (properly positioned on the lens barrel) do not have 'stop points' like they do on the EX, which gives a rather 'mickey mouse' feel to the camera. These are my main gripes with this camera. Otherwise I'm very happy. It's nice and light, handles well, gives stunning picture quality in HD. The low light capability is dramatically enhanced by being able to up the gain to +15db without any apparent loss of quality. This is entirely due to the new sensor technology. There are a few minor inconveniences such as accessing Picture Profiles and White Balance settings, not as easy or fast as with the EX and the menu controls are a pain to operate unless you have lovely female fingers!

All in all it's a very good camera at an astonishingly cheap price, in my opinion that's what Sony aimed at, wrongly. Another grand or even two could have really hit the jackpot, but they didn't want to tread on the toes of the FS7 presumably.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Nov 29, 2016 at 10:46:49 pm

thanks michael, very insightful.

i did watch a number of video reviews about the 150, but other than one which actually compared it to an ex1 (and came to the same conclusions you have), most seemed to suffer the 'new is better', or i've bought this so it HAS to be better 😉

i'm going to carry on with my ex1, though i did toy for quite a while (in fact ever since the z7) with the idea of an interchange lens camera, only to be very disappointed by a. the lack of range in 'affordable' 1/2" lenses, b. the hassle of adapting any 1/2" camera to b mount lenses.yes, i know it can be done, but after following various threads and the b4 facebook users comments i really haven't the energy or patience to travel that route.

since i'm pretty much at the end of my career and don't have to impress clients (mine are very happy with the ex1 material), i'm more inclined to ignore 4k and concentrate on pc upgrades and perhaps getting a dji drone - i do have a few potential projects that would pay for it - but a. i'm tired of learning new stuff, and b. with the plethora of hd drones around it might be easier to find someone with one for the jobs i have in mind...

as ned kelly said, such is life...

thanks for the feedback - most appreciated

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 30, 2016 at 5:38:39 pm

Oh Leslie, you don't want to be bothered with changing lenses, unless you're in a studio and have bags of time for each set up. You'll be fine with your EX1, I still marvel at the pictures mine produced when I look at my BD's and DVD's on decent screens. I'm not making my living with films, I do it merely for the art and the satisfaction. I always refuse commissions because I want to enjoy it with no pressure.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Dec 2, 2016 at 12:50:54 am

agree entirely re changeable lenses. simply too much hassle for too little benefit.

i think my ex1 will continue till either it, or i, breakdown. i'm still however toying with upgrading my nex5 (bought for a mini jib project) to maybe a a6300. i use my nikon glass on the nex5 with a cheap adaptor and am very happy with the results in general so am happy playing around at that budget level ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]