FORUMS: list search recent posts

PXW-X70 SD Card Formating?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Sherman
PXW-X70 SD Card Formating?
on Nov 16, 2016 at 1:55:17 pm

Hi, Just got some new 64GB SDXC cards for my PXW-X70. I know that you need to format new cards, but I was wondering if you should always reformat them everytime when starting fresh? On page 78 and 79 in the users manual it states two types of formatting. First one performs normal formatting, with the second one stating "Removes all data completely" Also, I have saved PP's Custom settings, etc. on my SD card which will be erased if I do reformat. Is there a way to save/reload them without having to reset them all from scratch? Thanks, Ray

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: PXW-X70 SD Card Formating?
on Nov 16, 2016 at 6:52:07 pm

Ray, I've been worrying over this very question since changing from using the S X S cards in the EX 1 camera to the San Disc SDXC 'Extreme Pro' in my new Z150 camera. With the S X S I only formatted once on initial use, thereafter I merely deleted the clips via the camera menu. With the Z150 there is no facility for doing this. I've got in an awful mess trying to do this, both in the camera and on a lap top, so, I now format each time to delete the media. Yes, you do lose ALL files on the card when you format. That's no problem providing you have backed up all your camera paint settings and general set upon to either a separate card or a computer or external drive. That's what Doug Jensen of Vortex Media suggests in his wonderful Master Class on these cameras.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Nov 16, 2016 at 11:00:43 pm

Thanks Michael........ I'll keep my settings on a seperate card as you suggested. I'm sure that reformatting "in camcorder" would be the best option. By doing this, it would be assured that everything is clean. As I stated, there are two ways to format with the X70. One performs normal formatting, with the second one "Removing all data completely" Not sure what the second one means. Maybe some others will chime in to give us some additional info. Thanks again for your help. Ray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2016 at 2:03:16 am

When you format with the second option, only available when camera has AC power, I believe it's doing a low level format. The other version is fine in most cases but over time I believe it can fragment the access so it might increase the likelihood of glitches.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 17, 2016 at 2:43:36 pm

Come to think of it Craig, this is what is explained in the (hopeless) User Manual with the Z150. They do point out the possibility of media becoming fragmenting over time. I don't think that Doug Jensen mentions this.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Nov 17, 2016 at 4:12:04 pm

I think I'll go ahead and re-format in the simple fashion. If I start to have any glitches in the future, I'll try the second method. Thanks for the help. Ray

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Nov 17, 2016 at 11:11:51 pm

I want to share the following that I received from another forum; Awesome!!
Hello Ray,
I do not own a X70, however, I had the same thoughts with my Panasonic AG-DVX200. I also have a set of different scene files - partly modified to my own preferences, which are stored at the XDHC-card. My proposal is: Have a look at your XDHC-cards' file structure, and identify the location of your individual scene files. Then make a copy of your current XDHC-card and delete all media files, and keep only the original file structure together with your scene/picture files. I cal this a "Scene File Master".
Having done this, I format each XDHC-card in my camcorder, in order to get a fresh card. Then I put the formatted card into a card readerr connetced to my workstation, and copy the above described "Scene File Master" to the freshly formatted SDXC card. The result is a freshly formatted XDHC-card with added scene/picture files. With this card inserted into my camcorder, I have all existing scene files available.
Joachim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]