FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio for interview

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sylvie Collier
Audio for interview
on Oct 23, 2016 at 4:51:44 pm

Sorry for such a basic issue: I need to record a documentary interview on EX1r. Would like to record interviewee's answers on channel one and interviewer's questions on channel two. Is this not possible ? I have rehearsed this using 2 identical shotgun mics mounted on stands (because I have no mixer, boom or hand-held operator), each plugged into XLRs, CH 1, Ch2. My EX1R meters show nothing on channel 2 despite trying manual and auto, ext mics. Channel 1 is good. Of course I've switched around the mics and found no issues with them.

Tried various audio input menu settings - Channel 1 is always ok; not Channel 2. Think I must be missing something simple, some setting I'm not aware of, and would so much appreciate advice. If/when it comes I'd also appreciate advice on audio input settings, what range should they be in? - I have to record softly-spoken individuals. Thank you very much. S

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
Re: Audio for interview
on Oct 24, 2016 at 1:42:57 pm

Hello...

Have you made sure that CH 2 is set to "48v.--mic"....that's what you need in order to feed power to that channel and to power up a shotgun microphone.

HTH....

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Sylvie Collier
on Oct 24, 2016 at 7:49:27 pm

Thanks to Bill for having me check this. Yes, I do position the switch correctly. Until today there was no signal from Ch 2, then...there is. Since then it's been intermittent , sometimes works ok, other tests produce no signal. I'll have to wing it for time being.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 24, 2016 at 10:09:17 pm

[Sylvie Collier] "Since then it's been intermittent , sometimes works ok, other tests produce no signal."

Try going to the 'OTHERS' menu and select 'RESET ALL'. Sometimes all the EX1R needs is to return the camera to its default settings. If you have any custom presets such as different colour settings you might want to back them up to a spare SxS card first as they will be erased during the reset process.

I had a low buzz in one of the audio channels once and resetting the camera cured it.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]