FORUMS: list search recent posts

Catalyst Browse update - and no transcode option

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Catalyst Browse update - and no transcode option
on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:09:33 pm

I updated my Catalyst Browse this a.m. and now cannot find the "Transcode" setting.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Alan Craven
Re: Catalyst Browse update - and no transcode option
on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:58:47 pm

In my updated version The transcode icon is the third of the five icons at the top right of the window. It looks like a bed with an arrow ppointing skywards.

My update went badly. This is the second occasion that an update to Browse has led to a crash on opening Browse, with an error message about OpenCL. Fortunately a graphics driver update cured the problem - luckily I was not on the absolute latest driver.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 7, 2016 at 8:57:58 pm

Thanks! I was lucky, compared to you! I should know better than to upgrade software when I'm on deadline.

I really appreciate your fast response. I had already done a work-around for the transcode, but it's great to know for future reference, and always great to know that the COW is such a great resource.

Wouldn't it be nice if software writers included a good ol' "readme.txt" when an upgrade moves things around?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 9, 2016 at 9:56:30 pm

Bob, as a matter of interest, why did you upgrade your Catalyst Browse? I'm just embarking on this software since I hope soon to be shooting in the Sony XAVC codec and my old Transfer won't deal with that.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 9, 2016 at 10:34:45 pm

[Michael Slowe] "why did you upgrade your Catalyst Browse?"

Just dumb, I guess. The software told me to do it, and I did it. It was a bad idea, because it was already working for me, and one should never change what's working when on deadline. Now that I know where the Transcode button is, it's fine.

People who use Time Machine faithfully look pretty smart.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 14, 2016 at 11:27:56 am

I also have had trouble using Catalyst Browse, my Media 100 edit system didn't like the ProRes files it produced for some obscure reason. I have just turned to EditReady which I find fantastic. Easier to use, does a great job, the only snag is that there is no facility for 'in' and 'out' points for selection, you have to transcode the whole clip.

There is a free trial offer if anyone is curious and wants to have a look, I've now bought it, $49, worth it as my problems are, I hope, over.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Nov 7, 2016 at 5:52:53 pm

You might want to consider investing in Edit Ready which is an excellent transcode program and it's only $45 or so and it's faster than Catalyst Browse by quite a bit. Great to have as a backup.

Jim

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:29:05 pm

Jim, funny that you should mention EditReady. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and yes, it does a great transcribe. The only problem is that there are no 'in' and 'out' options, you have to take the whole clip.

Tonight I went back to Catalyst Browse, which now works in my system and does let you do 'in' and 'out'. I don't find it any faster or slower than EditReady and it has one big disadvantage, you have to select the target codec each time you select a clip. This takes time as you have to scroll down quite a few options. Can you tell me, is there anyway you can set the target codec and it will stay fixed until you change it?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 9, 2016 at 1:45:37 am

[Michael Slowe] "is there anyway you can set the target codec and it will stay fixed until you change it?"

I second the question. Very annoying to have to reset the target codec; it seems as if there must be a way to make it stick.

Is there any way to communicate this to the software writers?

Bob C

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Nov 9, 2016 at 8:08:43 pm

Hi,
they probably monitor this forum:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Catalyst-Software/bd-p/SonyCreativeSoftware

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]