FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PXW-Z150 - How to import files into Adobe Premiere Pro CC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Anderson
Sony PXW-Z150 - How to import files into Adobe Premiere Pro CC
on Sep 29, 2016 at 7:34:44 am

Hello all,

I just started using a Sony PXW-Z150. I recently shot some very nice 4K footage for some colleagues. I imported it directly into Final Cut Pro X and it worked great.

I then gave them the memory card. They will be using Adobe Premiere Pro CC to edit the footage. They can't figure out how to save or import the footage, and I'm completely unfamiliar with that program.

(Just to give you some background, we are all biologists by trade and are absolute beginners when it comes to video editing.)

In the File drop down menu in Adobe, we chose 'Import' and then selected the card reader with the memory card. We end up with a file labeled, "Private".

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Erik

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Sony PXW-Z150 - How to import files into Adobe Premiere Pro CC
on Oct 2, 2016 at 10:34:26 am

I am just about to change to this camera from my EX 1 and have installed Sony Catalyst Browse in order to be able to read and deal with the files. I would think that you have to do the same, you are probably shooting in the new Sony Codec, XAVC which needs the Catalyst Browse. I don't know how the other guys got their stuff from this camera into Final Cut.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 2, 2016 at 3:11:03 pm

[Michael Slowe] "I don't know how the other guys got their stuff from this camera into Final Cut."

I'm using the X70. It imports directly into FCPX. I don't use Catalyst Browse. Using FCPX I make an FCPX Camera Archive (copies the the card, metadata intact) and then import directly from the Camera Archive into FCPX.

Return to posts index

Alan Craven
on Oct 2, 2016 at 2:11:36 pm

You can download Catalyst Browse from here:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse

It is free, and is far and away the best method of importing any Sony professional camera format to your video editor.

Return to posts index

Jim Clark
on Oct 3, 2016 at 3:05:33 pm

I usually just copy the clips from the media card directly to a folder on my computer. You can either buy a card adapter (cheap) and remove the media card from the camera similar to using an SD card, or just plug a USB cable into the camera to download the media card content. When you plug the USB cable into the computer you will need to enable USB in the camera. Look at the camera LCD and follow the instructions.

After transfer is complete go to the location on your computer you saved to. You will find a folder named XDROOT. Open that folder and find another folder named Clip. In the Clip folder you will find three different types of files. You want the MXF files. If you sort by File Type you will get all the MXF files next to each other.

In Premiere Pro CC go to the edit window. Look in the bottom left corner for the Project window where you media will reside. Highlight all of the MXF files in the Clip folder and then drag them all into the Project window. Now you can create a sequence and begin to edit.

Hope this helped.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 4, 2016 at 11:55:22 am

Jim, you are doing just what we were expressly told not to do with the BPAV folders produced when shooting with the EX 1 camera. We were warned that disaster would follow if we split the items in those folders.

Are you saying that things are different now with the Z150? Are the XAVC folders able to be split up and clips selected separately? In any case I intend to use the Sony Catalyst Browse for selecting but your method intrigues me.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jim Clark
on Oct 4, 2016 at 12:00:43 pm

Have never experienced an issue doing this.

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Oct 5, 2016 at 1:38:03 am

i think it only affects clips that spread over the 4gb fat32 limit, ie longer takes would show some glitches if transferred incorrectly.-

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Feb 5, 2017 at 7:33:19 pm

I was struggling to get my Z-150 video into FCP7 and settled with just dragging the MFX files to a folder and drive and then importing them to my project. Of course there is no metadata, but I can work with the files. I am still hanging on with FCP7 even though I have an Adobe Creative Cloud license. The FCP7 system is tied to a legacy OS and an old Kona video card. But am I to understand that the new Clip Browser works with Premiere Pro (and will bring the metadata in with it)? I doubt I will be able to include the Kona card in the mix, so that will still be an issue. Thanks, Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 7, 2017 at 6:16:04 pm

Jay, you have to be very wary in messing about with the Sony camera files on a card. All sorts of stuff is there which we are warned not to disturb. If you take a look at Doug Jensen's (of Vortex Media) wonderful Masterclass on the PXW -Z150, he explains all. You should back up the whole file marked "Private" and then use Catalyst Browse to get into it.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Feb 8, 2017 at 5:41:06 am

Thanks. I only did it out of desperation. Fortunately it worked. Do you have a preference between Premiere Pro And Resolve coming out of years of FCP7.

Best,

Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 8, 2017 at 9:21:44 am

Jay, I only edit on Media 100 (brilliant) so can't comment I'm afraid.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Aug 1, 2017 at 8:05:00 am

Michael - did you begin using the Z150 with Media 100? Vivek Sharma is asking about it on the Media 100 Facebook group - specifically: "Are the 4k files from this camera able to be imported into media100?"

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 1, 2017 at 9:33:00 am

Andrew, I only edit with Media 100. With the PXW-Z150 I'm shooting HD, can't see any advantage in 4K at present (other than re framing maybe), but this new sensor is so good you can re frame and not notice. I use EditReady to transcribe the Sony XAVC media to ProRes for import to Media 100, no problems at all. As Media 100 can take in 4K I would think that my workflow would work for that.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Aug 1, 2017 at 9:16:29 pm

For the record and for what it is worth, my initial question had to do with importing Z-150 video into FCP7. I have since thrown in the towel and started editing with Premiere Pro CC latest version. Catalyst Browse is a great program and I am slowly but surely getting used to Premiere Pro. I was very attached to FCP7 and will miss it. I managed to get by dragging the .mfx files into FCP7. But that way goes danger.

Thanks everybody for contributions (and I used M100 20+ years ago and it helped my business transform, then).

Best,

Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]