FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horrible pink skin tones on overexposed shots on Sony EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Gleeson
Horrible pink skin tones on overexposed shots on Sony EX1
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:14:53 pm
Last Edited By Martin Gleeson on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:17:23 pm

I'm sure this is user error, but been using a Sony EX1 and I find that when shooting in strong sunlight, if the shot is anyway overexposed (and sometimes correctly exposed), the skin tones becomes this horrible pinkish color. It's a nightmare to correct in post! This is an example:

https://vimeo.com/183825888

Although it actually doesn't look so bad in that clip, it looks bad on my calibrated video monitor. I can even see it sometimes when looking though the viewfinder of the camera and I sometimes end up underexposing to get rid of it.

The above is straight out of the camera. I usually do a good bit of adjusting in post, bit not to that clip.

It was shot with ND2 at 5800k. Shutter was 100 (I'm in Pal land). The iris was at 3.4 at the beginning of the clip and then 4.5 as I closed it at the end. The picture profile is set to standard with no changes except the Knee is set to "Point=85, Slope = -12, Sat Level=50".

Any Googling seemed to reveal a similar but not exact problem related to washed out skin tones.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Horrible pink skin tones on overexposed shots on Sony EX1
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:27:36 pm

Common on the EX1. We either pull down the red midtones in post or set up a picture profile to reduce the reds. Obviously the guy's jacket on the right should not be that brown and more towards grey.

Steve

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:34:31 pm

Yeah, with the XDCAM EX cameras I use Tiffen T1 IR filters to knock down the near-IR frequencies. These cameras don't filter that light in order to have a slightly wider color gamut, if I recall correctly, so under certain conditions you definitely want to employ the proper filter. There are videos out there going back to the original EX1/EX3 which show the "blacks are brown" issue and the difference an IR filter can make.

Clint

Return to posts index

Martin Gleeson
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:58:52 pm

Thanks guys. Now that you mention it, I have also noticed black suits with a reddish tint to them. I found some videos on that Tiffen T1 IR filter and will look into trying that if I can get one.

Thanks lot,
Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]