FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS card - XDCAM Transfer equivalent for XQD cards?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Fitzsimmons
SxS card - XDCAM Transfer equivalent for XQD cards?
on Sep 14, 2016 at 3:17:31 am

Hi one and all,

Does anyone know if there is a SxS card - XDCAM Transfer equivalent for XQD cards?

I used two cameras at work a PMW-300 (I think) and a PXW-FS7. Both and good cameras with pros and cons. The biggest negative of the FS7 for me and the team I work with is the large .XML file it creates.

With the PMW-300 we import the card's data through XDCAM Transfer and it creates a neat .mov file. The import process is really fast and being an .mov it allows us to preview the file easily using Finder which I like (we are using the Mac OS).

I've looked around online to find a comparable solution for the XQD card but have had no luck.

Does anyone know if such a program exists? Or if there is another workflow solution that will do the job.

My team and I currently use the Adobe suite. I've thought about using Media Encoder but don't see that as a workable solution given the time it would take to Media Encoder to encode the footage.

Thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: SxS card - XDCAM Transfer equivalent for XQD cards?
on Sep 14, 2016 at 8:05:35 am

Hi,
have you looked at Sony Catalyst Browse ? I think it is a sort of descendent to XDCAM Transfer and it has some transcode options built in.

I'm not sure Media Encoder is such a bad option. It supports a drop folder and it will just go transcode everything you put in it. I sometimes forget I've set this up, go get a cup of coffee and find it has transcoded everything.

Another option might be Prelude. You have a license for this with Adobe CC . I've not used it much but it is worth looking at some intro level videos to see what it would do for you.

Also that is not just an annoying XML file, it is your metadata. It should allow you do a better edit/color correct. There is that old expression "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater" :-)

Return to posts index

Craig Fitzsimmons
on Sep 15, 2016 at 12:02:41 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding to the post.

I'll have a look into Sony Catalyst. I understand the benefit of an XML file, it's just not suitable for every job I work on. A bulk of my work is produceing news stories that need a quick turn around. Any need for advance editing and color correction is generally minimal. Hence the reason I am looking for something the does the same job as XDCAM transfer. The compressed files XDCAM transfer creates is also handy for archiving and which avoids double handling files.

Any other suggestions out there?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 18, 2016 at 10:13:24 am

Mark Thompson is correct, Sony Catalyst Browse is the descendant to XDCAM Transfer and does exactly the same job together with many more (which I haven't fathomed and don't need). It will transcode all codecs shot on a Sony camera I would have thought. I have just got it because I will be shooting the new Sony XAVC codec and Transfer would not handle that. You need Mac OS later than 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), I've gone to Yosemite (10.10), reluctant to go further in order to preserve the life of other software installed.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Fitzsimmons
on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:00:13 am

Great stuff Michael!

I've been testing Sony Catalyst Browse and it seems to do the job I need.

Thanks again.
Craig

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Sep 21, 2016 at 3:34:53 pm

Michael, is Sony Catalyst Browse free or a paid software? Is it just like the "Sony Clip Browser" one used with Sony's EX-1's? I would use Sony Clip Browser to copy the SxS cards, because of the "CRC" check. I didn't really use XDCAM Transfer much, unless I needed .mov files, but since I edit in Premiere, I would just import the raw SxS card, and start editing. I'm editing on OS 10.9.5, and "Sony Clip Browser" is not longer supported, so I'm also looking at a new replacement for "Sony Clip Browser". Sony Catalyst Browse basically the replacement then for you?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 21, 2016 at 5:46:52 pm

Tom, I think that Sony Catalyst Browse is free. Without it people filming in the Sony codecs, XDCAM, XAVC etc couldn't access the media. I think that you might need a 10 OS but I'm not sure. I always used Transfer for reading my media from the S X S cards in my EX1, and it was perfect for me. I'm hoping that Catalyst Browse is as good for the XAVC codec that I'll be shooting on although I've tested it with XDCAM media and it works for that too.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]