FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horrible Sony fs5 autofocus issue

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd VanSlyck
Horrible Sony fs5 autofocus issue
on Aug 19, 2016 at 1:47:35 pm

Out of the box, I've had an issue with the stock lens autofocus. I'm not sure if it's just mine or it's a common issue. It's constantly trying to catch focus, creating a flicker type effect. If you reference the second shot in the link below, look in the middle during the zoom, you'll see a weird step effect. The lens is unusable in autofocus mode. I've been able to use it on manual successfully, but what a pain. Fortunately I also have the metabones adapter and use Canon lenses a good portion of the time.
Be sure to view the video in HD
Has anybody else been having issues with this lens?

Dell T76000 Dual 8-core 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000
NVIDIA Tesla c2075
Adobe Premiere Pro CC
After Effects CC
Cinema 4d r14

Return to posts index

Alan Barker
Re: Horrible Sony fs5 autofocus issue
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:13:23 pm

Yes, I have the same problem. In my case it's related to the body. Quick zooms using either the lever on the grip or the top handle randomly throw focus out in manual focus as well as auto. I do not have the problem using the zoom ring or the zoom slider on the lens.

Return to posts index

Trish Tolentino
on Apr 24, 2017 at 4:14:33 pm

Hey Todd and Alan,

Where either of you able to figure out a solution or call Sony . With my stock lens, I as well am having issues losing focus. I manually zoom in to grab focus, and when I pull out, it gets thrown out of focus. Disappointing and annoying.

Trish Tolentino

Return to posts index

Alan Barker
on Apr 24, 2017 at 6:51:18 pm

I found this problem to be resolved with the latest firmware update. The kit lens is not parfocal. I tested it on a Sony still camera. My suspicion is that Sony compensates for this using the autofocus function - even when you are in manual focus mode. I have not seen the problem since the latest update but, who knows...

Return to posts index

Trish Tolentino
on Apr 24, 2017 at 10:37:06 pm

Alan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I did the update last September and still have the problem. I'll look to see if I missed an update, though i don't think I have. I'm hoping to wait to see what updates that put up after NAB. As far as parfocal, what a disappointment. If the update doesn't fix the lens issue, I feel like I wasn't the $100s on a useless piece of glass. I'll keep you updated Alan.

Trish

Trish Tolentino

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]