FORUMS: list search recent posts

used SXS Cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
used SXS Cards
on Aug 6, 2016 at 9:50:01 pm

I have seen loads of both SXS pro, and SXS-1 used cards for sale. Is here anyway to know you are getting a good used card?
What is the limit of use on the SxS pro and SXS-1 cards? Is there some test you can do before buying a used card to tell if
is close to the limit of use? I have three EXDCAM Cameras in my camera arnesal. Ex-1R, Ex-3 and PMW 320 that all use the
SXS cards. They all have the latest firmware updates. I hesitate to go to 4K bacause of the expense of the updates. New Cameras, New editing computer,
new monitors and 4K TV monitor and then have my clients ask for DVDs for distrubution. Several years ago when Blu Ray came out I thought
I would be disributing my work on Blu Ray. It is not so in my market.

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: used SXS Cards
on Aug 7, 2016 at 11:17:36 am

Ronnie, you've asked a lot of questions.

The proper Pro S X S cards are very resilient and are designed to take literally thousands of re records so you should be OK, provided they haven't been thrown around, and why should they have been. I don't know if there is a test that Sony do to evaluate their cards.

As to 4k, even though the new Sony PXW-Z150 (which I may go to after my EX1) will shoot 4K, I doubt that I'll do so. It really is only a help when you have to do a lot of post work on your image, or zoom in to small areas of a frame, otherwise no real advantage. TV doesn't transmit it, clients won't want it (yet) and it isn't worth the hassle technically in my opinion (others may disagree).

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Aug 7, 2016 at 7:51:46 pm

Thanks for your post Michael. All of my cards with the exception of one are "PRO" cards. I have one SXS -1 32 gig card. I think that when it gets new the end of it's life that there is some warning. Not sure about the SXS "PRO" cards. I see a lot of the used cards on e-bay and other sites lately and I am tempted. In the past I have used a cople of the Hoodman 32 gig cards without a problem. However, not on paying Jobs.

Thanks again

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 8, 2016 at 10:09:05 pm

The SXS-1 cards are good for 10,000 cycles and the SXS cards are good for 100,000. I don't know what the differences are with the SXS Pro cards. The link below is a bit dated but it still has some pertinent information. This link will be vapourware by the middle of September.

http://reeltimevideoworks.com/blog/solid-state-or-flash-memory/

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 14, 2016 at 9:20:30 pm

[Don Greening] "This link will be vapourware by the middle of September.
"

Why is that, Don?

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]