FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PXW-X70 Version 3 Firmware Update available.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Sony PXW-X70 Version 3 Firmware Update available.
on Jun 17, 2016 at 12:46:04 pm

US Site
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/SoftwareFreeDownload.aspx
Although you may need to start here and in search enter PXW-x70
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software.aspx
Once downloaded you're note that oddly the folder is labeled for the FS7 but you'll find the file inside is for the X70.
Does make you wonder about Sony software QC.

UK Site
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/software/SET_150526_PSG/20

Canadian Site
http://www.sonybiz.ca/pro/lang/en/ca/support/software/SET_150526_PSG/20

Return to posts index

Alan Barker
Re: Sony PXW-X70 Version 3 Firmware Update available.
on Jul 27, 2016 at 12:53:34 am

Hi Craig,
What was your experience with this update? I downloaded it several times from the US ServicePlus site this morning and it would not open on my computer. I downloaded it from the UK site. It seemed to work after a few aborts and a computer restart - then it killed my camera. It is dead, will not power up. I had followed the instructions, external power, etc. Sony had no solution other than to send it in, the reset is in a menu. I visited the US Service plus again this afternoon. There was an entirely different login procedure (was none this a.m.). It downloads and opens easily - now.
Alan Barker

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Aug 2, 2016 at 1:50:09 pm

I'm also running into issues upgrading to Ver 3. (on both PC & Mac). Downloaded software, ran exe (or dmg) got the screen that says plug in camera, on the camera got the Mass Storage screen connect, but that where I hit the wall. I did see loaded the PMHome folder (license stuff), but nothing else. I was able to unplug the camera w/out bricking anything.
I contacted Sony Services Plus, and they couldn't come up w/ an answer, except to send it in.
Has anyone successfully upgraded to V3?

Thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Aug 2, 2016 at 2:45:04 pm

I figured it out (for me anyway)!

The instructions seem to indicate that the screen on the X70 will turn off:

Note: When the camera is connected to the computer, the LCD screen of the camera turns off. Please proceed to the next step. If the LCD screen of the camera dose not turn off, please try the following methods.
- Disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
- If the computer has multiple USB terminals, try with the other terminals.

Mine camera just kept the Mass Storage do not unplug prompt. What I ultimately did was to press the NEXT button, then the screen turned off and the "follow instruction on the computer" prompt appeared on the X70 screen. Then the RUN button ran the upgrade.

Given the warning that the camera could be bricked if the instructions were not followed to the letter, I wanted to follow to the letter.

Anyway, hopefully the above scenario will eliminate others anxiety.

Cheers,
Jim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2016 at 6:23:56 pm

I posted the details of my upgrade on Facebook. I found the post. There were a couple of things different than the instruction.

Updated... Success!

Late 2013 MacPro, OS 10.11.5, updated from v2 w/4k to v3.

First unplugged all USB cables but keyboard. Concerned one reason some might have issues is multiple items on USB bus.

Reboot computer. Nothing is running. Always good to do because it ensures any stubborn background tasks are killed.

Set computer to avoid Sleep for an hour.

Move dmg to desktop and run it.

Camera has both AC and original batter attached. SD card removed.

Have PDF instruction open on a separate computer so I can follow that in addition to the instruction on the installer screen.

When time comes I connect camera to computer. Message comes up about attached mass storage. Not listed in instructions. Ignore that and follow instructions.

Upon Finish step the mass storage message displays. It says don't disconnect. Instructions say disconnect. Click X on camera and it says don't execute unless disconnected first so I don't go there. Disconnect USB. Then I execute disconnect mass storage. Camera full display appears. Yay! Turn off and turn camera back on. All is good.

Since the Mass Storage camera message isn't in the instructions I wonder if this is where people are running into issues.

Return to posts index

Francisco Miguélez Martínez
on Aug 22, 2016 at 12:24:32 pm

Updating my Sony PXW - X70 to version 3.0 , the camera died . There was a failure in the update process and now by putting the battery or connect to the stream will not start. the small green light that has power but does not display anything in any of the viewers lights . You will also light a small red light next to the SDXC cards , but nothing more. I called Sony and I 'm waiting for an answer . I have another camera like and updated smoothly. If someone else has happened comenteis beg you . It is the first time an update breaks me a professional camera . In the upgrade process I used the USB cable and original electricity.

Return to posts index

Alan Barker
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:06:47 pm

Sony should have to answer for this. I had to send mine in. They sent an estimate of $540. I asked why I was expected to pay when it was their update that bricked the camera. They lowered the bid to $405 in response. I am not at all happy with that but - over a barrel. I asked them to install the 3.0 upgrade and reinstall my 4K upgrade. I had to send my upgrade key twice. Then it got strange, I received an email saying they were installing the 4K upgrade then silence. There was no charge on my card so I called in. I was then told that they were waiting for a part which was expected at the end of the month. How many cameras have been bricked? Were you using the US or the UK upgrade download?

Return to posts index

Mark Hildebrandt
on Nov 12, 2016 at 2:39:04 am

I have done this tonight and was shocked! I have to use my camera next weekend for a production....
Have you found any solution to this - or have some other found one? I think its craziness, that none in sony is kept responsible.....

Best from Mark

Camer: Sony PXW-X70

Return to posts index

Alan Barker
on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:13:12 pm

Dear Jim, you were lucky to not have the problem. What you describe is the expected upgrade procedure. When the camera is bricked nothing will bring the LCD or even power back. Between this site and the "Sony PXW-X70 Shooters" Facebook page I count 7 cases of bricked cameras which is probably the tip of the iceberg. It's highly likely that the UK download of the upgrade was defective at first and has been fixed.

Return to posts index

Francisco Miguélez Martínez
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:26:27 pm

I am from Spain so I used the UK server . I upgraded two identical cameras Sony PXW X70 with the same original cables. One was updated without problems and the other died . I called Sony and collected a couple of days in my home the camera. In principle I am told that the repair covered by the warranty . I also told them that in this forum and other websites had found more consumers with the same problem . I think they recognize the problem because I have not put many drawbacks to repair it. However , I will wait until it receives the camera repaired back and tell you . But without doubt, they have tied up with updates.

Return to posts index

Alan Barker
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:36:14 pm

You were lucky because your camera was under warranty. Mine was not. They are making me pay.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:39:02 pm

There are a number of reports of bricked cameras on the Sony X70 Facebook User Group. I think more people are successful than not but it seems even those that brick the cameras are following Sony's instructions.

Return to posts index

gabriele fornaro
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:10:56 pm

Hi guys! I'm Gabriele and I'm from Italy. Today is my bad day... My fw update to v3.0 does not go well, with the same problems you described above. Most probably I can not fix it under warranty. I was looking for some solutions online, without send camcorder in assistance... but reading your posts above, I think that there is no hope. News? Someone has fixed it? Thanks to everyone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]