FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM-EX1 Camera settings to Match video file settings

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raul Alvarez
XDCAM-EX1 Camera settings to Match video file settings
on May 20, 2016 at 5:27:54 am

Hello;

I need some (basic) technical advise please; I'm in Italy shooting Sunday with an XDCAM-EX1 some honey bees footage. I'll need to edit this footage later on an Final Cut Pro v6.*, matching already shot footage from a GoPro to my new footage:

->My question is… What are the settings needed on my camera for a fast workflow to avoid (if possible) any kind of conversion process and do fast rendering at the end. I see the gopro footage is 1920x1080, but I want to go half on the camera to save HD space.

Final product will go on the web, but probably eventually on DVD (for Europe/Italy).

Can someone please advise?

*Note: My technical knowledge is quite basic and I apologize in advance if the above is too much of an obvious question… please be kind and simple in language…  ;)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM-EX1 Camera settings to Match video file settings
on May 23, 2016 at 8:59:51 pm

The GoPro footage is in its own compressed codec (h.264) that will require conversion to match your XDCAM EX or ProRes footage

Return to posts index

Raul Alvarez
on May 24, 2016 at 10:53:46 am

Thank you Ian for the advise…
In this case what would be your suggestion? to make a conversion of the footage before editing? …or just simply render once in the sequence as I go?
It is meant to be a short 1-2 minute video spot…with probably some slo-mo efx…
Much appreciated your response… 

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 24, 2016 at 9:17:23 pm

The H.264 footage from your GoPro is an acquisition codec, not an editing codec and FCP wasn't made to work with it. If you drop it into a timeline it may playback okay until you make some edits then you may experience picture artifacts, sync issues and also playback stuttering etc. If you had FCP7 I would recommend transcoding everything including the XDCAM EX footage to ProRes using Compressor but I don't think FCP6 came with it.

Your best bet is to convert the GoPro footage to the XDCAM EX codec, create an XDCAM EX timeline in FCP6 and import your footage. If you have Final Cut Studio you should also have Compressor.

-Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Raul Alvarez
on May 31, 2016 at 4:40:09 am

Thank you Don for the advise… grazie mille! I'll follow this.

All the best…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]