FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Fs5 4k with Shogun

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Brian Cass
Sony Fs5 4k with Shogun
on May 19, 2016 at 7:56:06 pm

I have a Sony Fs5 hooked up to the Atomos Shogun via HDMI cable. I want to record on the Shogun in 4k. However, the input setting on the Shogun will not change from 1080. My camera settings are in 4k (XAVC 30p 100mps). Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Brian Cass
Re: Sony Fs5 4k with Shogun
on May 19, 2016 at 10:07:59 pm

I found the answer in the menu under video output. I had it switched to HDMI but the HDMI/SDI setting also needed to be switched to the 4k setting.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 27, 2016 at 4:49:48 pm

Brian, how do you get on with setting exposure with the FS5? I have been thinking about switching from the EX 1 to the FS5 but couldn't get on with the peculiar ways of setting the exposure. No iris ring, odd combination with iris and the (good) variable ND. I need sick, intuitive standard controls for 'run & gun'. How do you find it?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brian Cass
on May 31, 2016 at 6:18:04 pm

Hello Michael,

Since I am very new to the camera, I am still learning which settings to use as a "base" from which to adjust. Agreed, there are many settings, from ISO to iris to ND. I would tend to start with a low ISO if possible for better noise control. Of course, some of your settings would be different if you want, for instance, a shallow DOF. It would be helpful if there were some basic tips for run & gun.

Thanks,

Brian

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 31, 2016 at 8:08:15 pm

Brian, there is a brilliant guide to this camera (and indeed many others, including my own EX1). It is produced by Vortex Media and their chief guy is Doug Jensen who does wonderful Master Classes, I'm surprised you've never heard about him, I couldn't possibly have managed over the years without him.

They have stopped selling DVD's of these Tutorials, they now put them on Vimeo and you have to rent them, for a max of six months. Look up Vortex Media and you'll find it all, absolutely essential for a new camera.

What I wanted to know was how you dealt with the exposure in a run & gun situation, and how you found the camera generally. Actually, now I've tested the FS5 I've decided to wait for the PXW-Z150. This was due out in April but Sony have been badly affected by yet another earthquake and this camera will not be available until the end of summer. Vortex are,are, even now, in the course of making their Tutorial on the Z150.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]