FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX to ProRes - best software option?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
XDCAM EX to ProRes - best software option?
on Apr 6, 2016 at 3:14:18 pm

I know this is a perennial topic, but it might need updating and I haven't seen a definitive answer in my searches of this forum, so here goes:

I need a utility to batch transcode XDCAM EX footage from the SxS cards in my EX1R to ProRes HQ MOV. I know that many NLEs can handle the camera files natively, but I would prefer to hand my clients ProRes files, as quickly as possible at the end of the shoot.

My criteria, in this order, are: quality, batch processing, speed, price.

I'd appreciate hearing of your experience with these or any other utilities:

Brorsoft Video Converter
Edit Ready
Sony Catalyst
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate

In case this makes a difference: Although I could bring a newer MacBook Pro (10.10.5), I would like to use my old, SxS-slot-equipped MacBookPro (10.8.5).

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Reimann
Re: XDCAM EX to ProRes - best software option?
on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:17:47 pm

Sony Catalyst gives you speed in conversion and a pretty cool Color correction. Personally I use the samurai blade from atomos on my EX1 since a while to sync record directly into 10bit 4:2:2 Prores HQ. The difference is NOT visible at first sight. But its easier to sell to the broadcast channels and more if ever you have to green screen key your footage.

DP, Flame/Smoke Artist
Feng☆Yun Culture Communication (SH) Co., Ltd.
上海风运文化传播有限公司

email: reiman.steve@gmail.com
cell: +86 136 71 95 94 61
WeChat: Xteve69
Web: http://xteves.com
LinkedIN http://www.linkedin.com/in/xteve

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: XDCAM EX to ProRes - best software option?
on Apr 8, 2016 at 4:14:21 pm
Last Edited By Bob Cole on Apr 9, 2016 at 1:31:37 am

So, Steve, are you a Catalyst Prepare user, or are you saying that you are able to bypass this step because of your Atomos?

My further research:

I'd prefer Catalyst (for the color correction) if I could find any positive reviews. But the only reviews I've found have been very negative, for bugginess. Are there some happy Catalyst Prepare users out there?

I've tried Edit Ready and Wondershare. Edit Ready is simple, it works, can take LUTs, and is less expensive at $49. Wondershare, at $59, also works, although the color correction is very primitive.

If you have tried anything which, like Catalyst Prepare, offers transcoding to ProRes along with some color correction, I'd appreciate hearing about it. If you know how to download a trial of Catalyst, could you please share the link?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]