FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ex 1 to FS5???

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Slowe
Ex 1 to FS5???
on Mar 1, 2016 at 11:51:29 am

Having made a number of successful documentaries on my EX 1 camera and, although still very happy with it, am tempted to go to the larger sensor and narrow depth of field offered by the new FS 5. I have studied this camera and 'played' with it last week at the London BVE show.

I was very surprised and disappointed with the lens being sold as standard with this camera. It struck me as being very 'amateur' and a step backwards from the lens on the EX 1. The three manual rings (focus, zoom, aperture) were not the same, they did not have the stop position that I have and the only way to change aperture was with the variable ND wheel. Admittedly, this is a fantastic feature, but should be in addition to a proper ring on the lens. Also, the EX feature that I love whereby the focus mode can be instantly switched between auto and manual by pulling or pushing the lens, was not available.

It may be these features can be obtained by buying one of the other lenses on offer, does anyone know?

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
Re: Ex 1 to FS5???
on Mar 3, 2016 at 4:58:16 pm

Michael,

I'm in the same boat with my EX-1, however, have a question about my EX-1. I recently had a friend rent it a few weeks ago from me, I think he adjusted something in-camera with the audio, and the audio doesn't quite right when used with wireless lavs... When time permits, can you email me at: tomyboy342000@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

John Treffer
on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:40:24 pm

The lens looks like the crappy lens that came with the FS700. It is confirmed by the price.

It really is a petty of such a beautiful camera. The FS7 kitlens (Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G) is a very beautiful lens, with the same focus ring as the EX1.

You have to get used however to a more limited zoom range in one lens than the EX1. This is a big downside from a bigger sensor.

I switched from an EX1R to a FS7 8 month ago. I get very positive reaction to the images I am filming now. More because of the great colours than the depth of field. But also the better codec 24-bit audio, great light sensitivity and slow-motion are big extra's.

The 28-135 kitlens is great, I combine it with Canon mount lenses. A 16-35 F4 with a Metabones speedbooster is a must for me and I have Metabones adapter with a 70-200 2.8 canon zoom. Now and than I rent a Zeiss ZE 50mm 1.4 and sometimes 85mm 1.4 if sensitivity or better optics are required. The Metabones adapter and Speedbooster give me more focal distance options with the same primes.

However the camera is bigger than an EX1 and changing lenses is slow, so I decided to keep the EX1 for the occasional job that needs it.

I hope this helps.

Good luck on the choice,

John

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 14, 2016 at 10:52:07 pm

Thanks John, yes that does help in that it confirms my decision to stick with my EX 1, at least for the next production.

You're right, it's the bigger sensor that causes problems over lens specs. The ideal lens would be too big and heavy, certainly foe a small body like the FS5. I've no complaints over the pics I get, it's just that the trend is to bigger sensors and narrow DOF.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]