Bob Cole
FCP 7 Log and Transfer -> "unsupported media" on Yosemite
on Nov 1, 2015 at 1:59:11 am
Last Edited By Bob Cole on Nov 4, 2015 at 5:55:35 pm

A Tale of Two Laptops, FCP 7, and Sony EX1R BPAV files:

old MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.5: no problems doing Log and Transfer
new MacBook Pro, OSX 10.10.5: consistently cannot import BPAV files

Any clues would be most welcome.

This is true, btw, whether the BPAV files are from my Sony EX1R or someone else's. The same BPAV files which are "unsupported" etc. acc. to the new MBP import without complaint in the old MBP.

I know the answer must be obvious - just not to me.

EDIT: Any other solutions are welcome. For instance, is there software which works under Yosemite to translate the files in my BPAV folders into files which FCP7 can read? Do I need to buy Catalyst Browse?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Irene Sinou
Re: FCP 7 Log and Transfer -> "unsupported media" on Yosemite
on Apr 14, 2016 at 10:21:24 am

Yes please!!!!! I've got the same problem...
How should I do to import BPAV files to FCP7 with Yosemite?
Should I use Premiere instead?

Thanks for your answers!!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: FCP 7 Log and Transfer -> "unsupported media" on Yosemite
on Apr 14, 2016 at 11:32:08 am

Hi Irene,

When I re-read my answer I realized it was too long, so I'll sum it up quickly: Use Sony Catalyst Browse to create ProRes files, and keep editing in FCP7.

=============================================
Here is the too-lengthy answer:

Premiere is great and will work fine with your camera originals. It requires a subscription, but if you already have it available, you will enjoy it.

You could also try editing with Resolve 12 (basic version free), if the learning curve doesn't bother you. It's very much like FCP 7.

If you want to keep using FCP7: You could use a file conversion program to create ProRes files, which work directly in FCP 7 on Yosemite. I've tried three file conversion programs: EditReady, Wonder- Share Video Converter Ultimate, and Sony Catalyst Browse. There is also Sony Catalyst Prepare, which I haven't used. They're all different; look for reviews and enjoy!

My favorite is the free Catalyst Browse. It will do some color correction and is pretty fast. I think it might lack file checksumming??? So if I were in the field, copying SxS cards off to a hard drive so I could recycle the SxS cards for the next shoot, I'd use something else like Sony's old Content Browser or Imagine Software's ShotPutPro, to copy the BPAV folders to one or more hard drives first.

(The only caveat I have about my experience: I did some of the test conversions with an older MacBook Pro running 10.8.something. But I used Browse on a Yosemite MBPro.)

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]