FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can You Transfer PXW-X70 Video Directly to an External HD?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Sherman
Can You Transfer PXW-X70 Video Directly to an External HD?
on Oct 25, 2015 at 1:18:50 pm

Hi,
I'd like to backup my x70 video off my 64g SDXC cards on a couple of external hard drives at the end of the day. I believe all I would need to do is open the SDXC card from my SDXC card reader and open the Private-XDROOT-Clip folders and drag and drop the clips from there. In addition, I see there is a MXF file and a MO1 document for each clip. I don't understand what the MO1 doc is for? Would I need to download both? I'd like to know the proper process without losing any video. Also, I haven't installed Catalyst Browse yet due to moving up to an iMac in the very near future. Any help/information would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Can You Transfer PXW-X70 Video Directly to an External HD?
on Oct 25, 2015 at 7:40:51 pm

Personally, as a rule handed down from the camera maker gods. Always copy the entire card intact.
You would no more pull files from a folder than you would rip the tape out of a cassette to copy it.
Various NLEs need the metadata intact to properly import.
In fact, I'd even avoid hand copying files since there's no parity check. If you're not going to use Sony Software to make the copy, you'd want to use something like Shotput Pro.

Sure they'll be a score of people of who say they copy by hand and never had a problem... except you see posts often enough of the one person who lost key files. It's like driving without a seatbelt, It's fine until the one day you get into an accident. If you're doing professional work, your job is to avoid the accident.

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Oct 25, 2015 at 10:50:57 pm

+1 100%

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 28, 2015 at 12:35:44 pm

Ray, listen to Craig, as far as I'm concerned he's been issuing sensible advice like this for as long as I've been a Cow follower, maybe 20 years.

Sony don't want you to disturb their complicated file structure. Personally I drag and drop my complete cards to back up drives via a MacBook Pro. Most people like to use software to check and verify the file transfer. I don't bother and have never had a problem, now I'll get told off by Craic!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Oct 28, 2015 at 12:49:29 pm

Thanks for the replies...... Basically all I want to do is copy/paste the "entire folder" on an external hard drive. It appears that this can be done. I haven't physically tried it yet, but I'll do a test with some unimportant video. Keeping the entire folder looks to be the most important. If this works without any problems, I should be able to dump it back on my SDXC card. Any more tips/comments would be most appreciated. Thanks again, Ray

Return to posts index

Neil Scott
on Nov 6, 2015 at 6:58:38 pm

Ray,

When we manually transfer files we check the file properties after the transfer. We compare the number of files/folders and bytes between the source material and the transferred files.

It's not as elegant or effective as software like Shotput, but for us it has saved the day a couple of times to do that kind of check before considering the transfer successful.

Neil

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Nov 6, 2015 at 10:57:16 pm

Great advice...... I'll definately experiment with some unimportant files. Thanks for the help. Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]