FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PMW 300k1 "Soft" interviews

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Aita
Sony PMW 300k1 "Soft" interviews
on Aug 22, 2015 at 1:08:53 pm

Hello buddies, my first post here so be patient...

After shooting for 25 years with Sony Betacams I recently switched to digital. I'm using a Sony PMW 300K1 camcorder, but I'm not happy at all with the little beast. It happens that shooting interviews in "Run and Gun" style is a real PITA, every single interview comes out with the people's face "Soft" and the background with crispy detail... Tried all possible checks (backfocus, aperture etc.) to no avail.
Is anybody out there facing this same issue ? I'm really lost...

Thanks in advance and Ciao from Italy :-)

Roberto Aita
News Cameraman

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
Re: Sony PMW 300k1 "Soft" interviews
on Aug 23, 2015 at 3:31:38 pm

As a EX-3 owner...this might help..make sure that the "auto-functions" are all set to "manual". I am sure that you have checked this, but it does sound like a focus problem. I friend here in Dallas has a PMW-300 and he loves it and works just fine...he has had it for 1 year with no problems.

Good luck...

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Roberto Aita
Re: Sony PMW 300k1 "Soft" interviews
on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:03:05 am

Thanks Bill for your hint, the issue is really weird cause the foreground and background ARE IN FOCUS, but the face is always SOFT. Seems to me that SONY is using a face detection algoritm and pushing down too much the detail in this specific area...
It never happened to me such a strange situation, with any camera (analog or digital). Of course I always work in fully manual and never touch autofocus/autoiris/autowhite buttons

Have a good time,

Roberto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]