FORUMS: list search recent posts

PXW FS7's lens have less zoom

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hasan Khurshid
PXW FS7's lens have less zoom
on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:52:15 pm

I am planning to buy PXW FS7 but there is a problem. The lens that comes with the camera has only around 5X zoom. I need atleast 10X zoom with power. Can anyone find a solution. Thanks

Return to posts index

Kent Pope
Re: PXW FS7's lens have less zoom
on Sep 26, 2015 at 4:15:21 am

I too have been looking for a solution. I mostly shoot corporate and commercial work but also freelance for several national news organizations. I have retired my P2 cameras and started using the FS7 to shoot the news gigs.

Sony's FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS lens, while affordable, doesn't come close to what I need for shooting news. With this camera I need 17mm or less on the wide end (for candidates working the rope line) and 250mm on the tele end (for H&S shots of the candidate at the podium from the media riser). So that is roughly a 14x lens. f/4.0 is okay but not what I am used to from my Fujinon lenses.

What this means, for now, is that I am ALWAYS carrying two lenses with me and hot swapping them between the rope line and media riser locations. I have only used the FS7 this way a couple times so far this year. I may be going back to the lesser but more versatility lensed Panasonic P2 camera.

Side notes:

1) I can live without a power zoom as long as the zoom ring mechanics are smooth

2) The zoom must be parfocal

3) The zoom must be constant aperture (thought I could experiment with auto iris)

4) B4 adapter won't work for me - wide angle is completely lost, some adapters vignette and all adapters plus x2 introduce too much CA

5) Yes, I know each one of my Fujinon lenses cost more than my FS7. Nuff said.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]