FORUMS: list search recent posts

SXS card formatting

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Barner
SXS card formatting
on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:21:37 pm

When I insert a two-year-old 32 GB SXS card into my five-plus year old backup EX-1, the screen says "Unknown Media Please Change"
I attempt an in-camera reformat, but the option to initiate the process is greyed out.
So, now I have a backup camera that won't accept cards to shoot on.
After doing online research, I feel it might be a firmware update on my EX-1. In the release notes for version 1.15 is this:
Major functions updated with V1.15
Usable media
Support “New SxS-1 (SBS-32G1A/64G1A)” with improved data
read speed.

So, how do I update the firmware?

When I go to the site:
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets...
and click to download, nothing happens.

Terry Barner
Senior Video Producer
Missouri University of Science and Technology

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
Re: SXS card formatting
on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:47:08 pm

Hello...

if all else fails....call the XDCAM help desk, its free:

800-883-6817, push 5, then 3....tell them what you need...I called
then before and they can help...

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:55:33 pm

Terry,

In order to run the larger cards, your EX-1 may not have the latest firmware. I sent my into SonyPro in LA, and had Sony technicians install it. Too many horror stories of people jimmy-rigging on their own. If your camera also wants to use larger cards, like any 64GB or 128GB SxS cards, or shoot using the "SDHC adaptors", your camera's firmware needs to be updated. If it is way old on the firmware, past a certain point, it is better to send it on, rather. If it's a one or two versions old on the firmware, might work, but again, I'd send it in, let them do the firmware, to the latest, then your'e set and I've had ZERO problems, SxS or SDHC, any sizes, since I've done that.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Terry Barner
on Jul 16, 2015 at 8:02:07 pm

For now, I can use two of m 16 GB SXS cards, so I don't need to use my 32 GB, which is the one I attempted to reformat. I have read the horror stories and don't need to risk my only remaining camera on a firmware upgrade.

Terry Barner
Senior Video Producer

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 17, 2015 at 12:03:48 pm

There should be instructions online somewhere. I upgraded my EX1 myself with no issues.

'Bricking' the camera often happened to those who used a finite-life camera battery for power on an unknown duration upgrade process... The instructions clearly say to plug the camera into AC power.

The process is far less perilous for people who simply read directions...I'm guessing you'd be fine.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Terry Barner
on Jul 17, 2015 at 1:01:35 pm

Here was the responses from Sony on firmware upgrades:

The PMW-EX1 will need to be at a minimum firmware level in order for “user” upgrade.
In the Maintenance Menu, the IF Menu will show what firmware is currently on the camera (Menu Button, Menu Wheel, and Cancel at the same time). The PMW-EX1 will need to be at v1.05 (at least) to allow for upgrading.
The firmware needs to be performed in increments; if at v1.05 go to 1.1x and then 1.2x and then 1.3x. Do not use battery power and read the instructions carefully!
Please following FTP server to access the firmware:

Usrname: pmw-ex1
Paswrd: sony

I have version 1.03 on my seldom-used EX-1, so Sony says I can't upgrade unless I send the camera to them. Too much time and money ($300) just to use two cards.
I will wait for my main camera to return.

Terry Barner
Senior Video Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]