FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Cameras - EX-1/EX-3 replacements... Your current work-horse? Favorite features?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Sony Cameras - EX-1/EX-3 replacements... Your current work-horse? Favorite features?
on Jul 6, 2015 at 10:23:24 pm
Last Edited By Tom Laughlin on Jul 6, 2015 at 10:27:49 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting some new cameras, and well, since it's been a challenge to see what's what, I'm coming from an EX-1, thought about a PMW-200, then reading up on the PXW-x200, and this line of camera updates, is rather cool, but confusing, in some ways. The EX-3 was replaced by the PMW-300, nice looking camera, and all, however, these cameras, all look almost identical! Every eyar, a newer version is released, with just a few updates, upgrades, or newer features. All the while, I just had my EX-1's firmware updated to the latest, so I can shoot on SD cards with SDHC adaptors, which I do often. Had also missed out on shooting with the bigger EX cams, the Sony F3, F55, and a few others in that "35mm sensor" camera family members.

SD Cards: As I read the forums, it looks like you can and can't use "non-Sony adaptors", and media. I currently shoot with several SD Adaptors, and own a huge pile of Transcend SD cards that I shoot on regularly. Will future cameras not work with these, some or all?

Codecs: A friend of mine told me that XDcam codec is dead, and that XAVC is the future, and that I should move towards XAVC. Is XDCAM dead?

50 Mbps Spec: I know everyone is now on the 50 Mbps bandwagon, so, if 50 mps and 4:2:2 color is better, would it be better to go with a PMW-200? I know several who still shoot on the EX-1's and EX-3's, so I guess I'm wondering how much longer could and should I shoot on them, or upgrade without breaking the bank?

4K: Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone else own or shoot with some or all of these and have an opinion? I also saw these cameras now shoot in 4K, but still maintain the same classic EX-1 size, which I love, so... Then if I go 4K, is my Mac Tower able to edit with that ok on Premiere? And do I have the $ for more hard-drives? Lots to mull around and think on...

Your thoughts?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

leslie wand
Re: Sony Cameras - EX-1/EX-3 replacements... Your current work-horse? Favorite features?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 5:58:01 am

interesting...

still ex1. am not interested in 4k other than for reframing, but given the cost of a decent 4k camera, plus the upgrade / new pc required to work with 4k as easily as i do with xdcam i might as well buy a 2nd ex1 ;-)

i think there's a huge drive to sell more and more hardware (even if it's not ready for market hardware or software-wise) and that any real commercial advantages (to us, the operators) are lost amidst the hype and bullsh*t. i am not against progress - i will happily buy new technology - but rather against that forced on us by marketing and advertising forces rather than pubic demand.

when 25% of my neighbours and friends have 4k tv's i'll seriously consider it (unless i have a client who needs it so badly as to pay for my 'upgrade').

as for codecs - i suppose it depends on how much work is needed to be done with the material, but even then we have a pletora of loss-less codecs to transcode to anyway.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Sony Cameras - EX-1/EX-3 replacements... Your current work-horse? Favorite features?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:37:38 am

I also am still working very happily with my EX 1. The results are still very good, the codec still works with my workflow as I get into ProRes on import so the fact that this codec will soon be outdated doesn't concern me one bit. There are some great new Sony cameras now appearing and if I were younger might well be tempted to change. The only real improvement I would want is a larger chip (sensor) size. I do find it difficult minimising the DOF, even with an ND in place and widest aperture. The mbps figure doesn't concern me, you tell me if anyone can detect the difference between 35 and 50 mbps. If you use it properly the EX 1 is still a wonderful workhorse and brilliant for 'on the go' documentary filming.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Jul 9, 2015 at 9:16:54 pm

Michael,

I was looking at these products (camera bling) for future shoots, with my EX-1.

Rigs:
http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/FILMCITY-DSLR-Shoulder-Mount-Kit-FC-109.html
http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-DSLR-Kit-3.html
http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-DSLR-KIT-9.html

MatteBox:
http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-MB-600-Camera-Sunshade-Matte-Box.html

Any thoughts?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 8, 2015 at 1:55:43 pm

I left one job where we shot with EX1/EX3 cameras to this job, where we hadn't made a transition away from ENG-style DVCAM. I did purchase PMW200s after a while, and really miss two things:

• The pivot grip - I shoot in a lot of tight quarters where this feature is extremely helpful.

• Shot Transition - I used this a lot in the past, so it was a real bummer to see it omitted from the newer cameras.

• I'd trade 50Mbit for these features in a heartbeat, because in my circumstance they make that big a difference to my work. Your experience may be different.

Cf

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
    on Jul 10, 2015 at 8:02:36 pm

I still have my EX1 for freelance shooting…and we replaced our EX3's at work with PMW-200s.

50 Mbit/s is fine…but you have to have a UDF formatted media card…so we're back to shooting on SxS for 50 Mbit. We still shoot a lot of 35 Mbit, particularly on long duration, 2 camera interviews (64 GB SDHC card adapters)…I can't say that I have seen a huge difference, but I also can't say that I've exhaustively compared and scrutinized the two formats side-by-side.

I'd echo the comment about missing the swivel grip of the EX cameras. Also, these PMW-200s get noticeably warmer than the EX cameras…not dangerously so, but it still gives you pause the first day you shoot with one.

TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
    on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:50:44 pm

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Tom Laughlin
    Producer/Editor
    Digital Chop House
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
    on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:07:33 pm

I have had an EX1r for years. Been a great camera, but lately I have been thinking that I should upgrade. I have been intrigued by the PXW X200, but I have been reading about some users who are having problems with the lens. I haven't been able to discern if they have been in contact with Sony on these issues or not. Could be just a bad sample or something worse. The other camera that I have been thinking about is the Sony FS7. Bit more money all in, but looks to have a lot of great attributes, but do I want to replace a camera with a built-in lens with one where I have to change lenses? I also have a Panasonic AF100 which has served me well, so I know what the lens changing and rig setup costs and usage issues would be. 4K is also of interest for use when editing; I think it would be very useful. Last but not least, there are a lot of BlackMagic cameras about to come out along with the new Panasonic DVX200 4K camera. My action plan: WAIT A BIT for things to evolve. I am not being pushed to upgrade by a client so there is no rush.

Regards,
    Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]