FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems transcoding from PMW200 to Final Cut via Bigasoft ProRes

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sheila Hayman
Problems transcoding from PMW200 to Final Cut via Bigasoft ProRes
on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:35:05 pm

Hello All

I am new to this forum, and indeed to my Sony PMW200 which I enjoy using. But I am now trying to edit from it in FCP7. Two experienced editors advised me to transcode all my files via Bigasoft ProRes converter, which I have been doing. Mostly it seems fine, and most of the files arrive in FCP okay, except I get a warning message saying they're not optimised for Final Cut, and I have to change the settings.
When I do this it has seemed fine, but now the last clip on each card arrives with a red line over it, no audio and an ugly bleeping sound. It seems to be just these last clips on each card.

I have deleted them from my project as they were also crashing FCP but I have no idea what is happening and I am trying not to bother my editor friends too much.

So I"m bothering you lot instead. So sorry!

If anybody can help me, or has experience transcoding from PMW200 to FCP7, I'd be extremely grateful for advice.

THank you.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Problems transcoding from PMW200 to Final Cut via Bigasoft ProRes
on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:29:07 pm

There are some encoders which don't create Apple qualified ProRes files. These encoders are creating ProRes through some form of the FFMPEG encoder.

If you have the Sony FCP plugin you should be able to use the XDCAM EX files directly in FCP7.

Return to posts index

Sheila Hayman
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:18:13 pm

Thank you - I do have something called XDCam Transfer but I haven't been using it because I can't work out how to output to Apple ProRes 422LT.mov codec, which is apparently what I need.

Meanwhile I can view my rushes in FCP with the original time of day timecode, even on the transcoded files which is good, and obviously I'd like therefore to keep that timecode for when I start to edit.

I have now emailed Sony support in the hope they may be able to help too.If you have the patience to help further re the Sony plugin that would be wonderful.

Sorry to be so hopeless.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:49:14 pm

[Sheila Hayman] " I do have something called XDCam Transfer but I haven't been using it because I can't work out how to output to Apple ProRes 422LT.mov codec, which is apparently what I need.
"

I'm not quite sure where you're getting your information from but XDCAM EX works in FCP7 without any transcode at all. ProRes of any sort is not needed.

You need the Sony plugin appropriate for your OS.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Problems transcoding from PMW200 to Final Cut
on Jun 8, 2015 at 9:25:32 pm

FCP 7 Log and Transfer plugin.
I'd strongly recommend checking Sony's site before anything else.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Return to posts index

Sheila Hayman
Re: Problems transcoding from PMW200 to Final Cut
on Jun 9, 2015 at 9:26:10 am

Have done - thanks! I already have XDCam TRansfer but will check out Browser too.

Really grateful. Thanks

XS

Return to posts index

Sheila Hayman
on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:30:28 am

Hello again

I now have the XDCam log and transfer plug in (which I already had in fact and is clearly what I need) and also the XDCam Browser, which I'm not sure I need as it seems to be a way of viewing and organising. However, there is still one last hurdle, which is that when I import XDCam files into Final Cut (they do play and they do have their timne of day code still, which is great) I can't work out how to import them into the appropriate bit of the project - I just end up with a mass of clips not in any bin which I then have laboriously to move one by one into the right place. I'm sure there's a really simple setting or other step I need to take but can't figure it out.

At the risk of totally exhausting your patience - any ideas?

So very grateful - I think I'm nearly there!

XS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]