FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transering data from SxS to Hard Drive - Sony F5

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfie Vazquez
Transering data from SxS to Hard Drive - Sony F5
on Jun 3, 2015 at 12:36:15 am

Hi, I'm new here in CreativeCOW and I made an account beacuse i need help, i got my first real job for a shotting a series, im the data manager, so all the recorded data goes through me, we are using the Sony F5, 4K recording using SxS cards, I have to use the XDCAM EX Clip Browser to transfer the data to 9 different hard drives, i can't seem to find any clues of how to do it, i only encounter tutorials to get the recorded data to avid/premiere/fcp from the Clip Browser, so i wanted to ask you for help, how could i do this? (first timne using aony)
Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
Re: Transering data from SxS to Hard Drive - Sony F5
on Jun 3, 2015 at 3:52:39 am

what country are you in? and you should use Sony Content Browser...and what format do you use...PC or Mac?

Do you just want to do a simple data transfer from the SxS card to a hard drive folder?

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Alfie Vazquez
on Jun 3, 2015 at 4:12:35 am

Thank you for the response! I'm in Argentina, I'll be using MAC, the files would be AVCHD 4K I think. Do you think the EXDCAM EX Clip Browser wont recognize de codec from de F5? And the Sony Content Browser will? I just need to transfer the data from the SxS to various hard drives for backup, nothing more.
Again thank you and sorry, Im new to Sony

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Jun 3, 2015 at 6:07:56 am

Try this..use MAC when it says PC, it will be the same:

- Install the Sony Content Browser to your laptop -(run the mac version). Make sure that you "check"..the CRC box in options, then edit....this is important

Plug your portable hard drive to the USB port (most standard for the portable hard drive). Your laptop should recognize this device.

I would recommend to create each directory for each card. Therefore if you are planning to use total 10 cards (even you have only 2 SxS cards). You will create 10 directories total as:
1. double click on your portable hard drive - it will open that drive
2. on top of that window select FILE - NEW - FOLDER (type card1 or whatever name you want).
Repeat step 2 for the next directory (folder) name ....

After shooting one card, you take SxS and insert into the reader.
Run the Sony Clip Browser. It will open with 3 windows: 2 on top of each other on the left side and the Preview is on the right side.
on the top left window (Explorer) it will show all the devices (hard drive which connected to computer).
When you select your SxS card (click on the card), it will display all the thumbnails for you.

now go to the lower left window (EXplorer) - you click on your portable drive.
Click on directory CARD1 (to open this directory / folder).

Now go back to the upper left window with all the thumbnails of your SxS card - right click on the mouse - Select All (all the thumbnails / clips will be highlighted). Hold the left button on the mouse and drag it down to the lower window (you will see the (+) sign) - release your left button of the mouse.

All files on your SxS are copied to your portable drive.

Typical I would create 2 copies. One on the portable drive and one on my laptop for safer. What if one failed I still have other one.

this came from Sony several years ago and this is what I do and it works...Best of lucks

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]