FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple XDCAM EX import question - with Adobe Premiere 8.0

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aryn Leigh
Simple XDCAM EX import question - with Adobe Premiere 8.0
on Apr 13, 2015 at 12:55:42 am

Hi there,

I've fairly recently made the switch to Adobe Premiere and am getting used to importing without the aid of a conversion tool, i.e. FCP7's Log & Transfer.

Please tell me if this is the best way to bring in XDCAM EX clips:

In Premiere, I select Import: then open the BPAV folder, then grab the entire CLPR folder. (Premiere automatically weeds out the incompatible files, importing only the MP4's.)

Next, I notice that there are several duplicate clips (save for the very last number) with the exact same timecode. i.e. "613_0318_01.MP4", "613_0318_02.MP4", and sometimes "613_0318_03.MP4".

I have been going through to make sure that they are repeat clips (uniformly, they seem to be), then deleting the dupes.

This feels a little sketchy. First, why are there so many duplicates of the same file? Is there a better way to bring in my files?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Coulson
Re: Simple XDCAM EX import question - with Adobe Premiere 8.0
on Apr 14, 2015 at 7:47:33 am

Hi Aryun: Those files are not duplicates. Files are recorded in a series and each new recording (anything over the limit to the data storage, which in HD is around 13 minutes of video)has a new but consecutive number added to the end. This is how your NLE knows the order of a bunch of clips you import.
So "613_0318_01.MP4" is the first file in the 613_0318 series and the next one is "613_0318_02.MP4". This structure can also help you locate or identify files.

In terms of Log and Transfer, I don't use it because I use XDCAM EX 50i files in Quicktime rather than .mp4. I import the clips into a folder on the hard drive then import those clips to my FCP 7 project without using Log and Transfer. You have to use Log and Transfer to 'decode' the codec in the .mp4 clips because FCP 7 cannot natively edit .mp4 files.

As I remember the process, in FCP 7, open log and transfer, navigate to your memory card, select the folder immediately after the first and second folder. In my case, that is: Card 1/Private/the one with the akronym which contains the video files. On my JVC camera which records in HD and SD, there are two folders; one for HD and one for SD. So I select the correct folder and the clips import and convert to quicktime right away.

Sorry that was a bit muddled.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]