FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding multiple files in Catalyst Browse fails with .smi

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Morrison
Transcoding multiple files in Catalyst Browse fails with .smi
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:46:24 pm

I imported my BPAV folder/files using Content Browser from a single SxS card (nothing spanned across cards). The longest file shows up as .smi with a small chain symbol and is 00:19:55:52 in length. I get the fact that this long, single clip is "spanned" due to file format limitations, but when I try to export and transcode all 19 of my files into .mxf format (all going to a new folder), I get the following error message: "Transcoding not available when transcoding multiple files. All files must have the same source settings". All the other files are short and have the normal .mp4 extension, but this .smi file seems to cause the problem.

Am I doing something wrong here? Why can't I export all my files at once? Ian?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Transcoding multiple files in Catalyst Browse fails with .smi
on Mar 5, 2015 at 11:47:04 pm

Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare do not yet handle spanned EX clips correctly in some cases. This is being addressed and will be fixed in a forthcoming update. For now please use Content Browser or XDCAM Transfer. I may be able to provide a bit more direction if you let me know what you are editing with and what OS you are on. As far as the current landscape, these NLEs/plugins handle spanned EX files correctly:

Avid Media Composer 8.3/Sony AMA plugin v 3.40
Final Cut Pro 10.1.4/Sony Media Import plugin v 1.2.1
Premiere Pro CC
Vegas Pro 13
Grass Valley Edius Pro 7
Sony Content Browser 2.3.1 (currently supported up to Mac OS 10.9 and Windows 7 SP1)
Sony EX Clip Browser/XDCAM Browser (discontinued but supported up to Mac OS 10.7 and Windows 7 SP1)
Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.13 (discontinued but supported up to Mac OS 10.8.5)

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Mar 6, 2015 at 12:20:57 am

Thanks for the info, Ian. I forgot that I didn't have a sig attached with the info you needed re: OS. I'm on a MacPro at OS10.8.5 and edit in Premiere Pro CS6. I was hoping to use small footprint program like Content Browser, Catalyst Browser or Catalyst Prepare to be able to quickly prepare transcoded (and unedited) files for a client who is on Win7. It was during the Export/Transcode step that I was hitting the .smi problem.

What advantages would I have by buying Catalyst Prepare if that is the best program to use? Wasn't there a 50% discount for Content Browser owners who wanted to move up? Expired?

Also, I noticed that the .mxf format does not seem to be available as a transcode choice in CP. Is this also a possible future update or should I try to get my client to switch to DNxHD?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:19:07 am

The 50% discount was for users who purchased Browser licenses through the Sony Creative Software site.

Exporting to .mxf is available as an export format in both Catalyst apps. You can't export to XDCAM 50 Mb 422 but you can export to XAVC-I in Browse and either XAVC-I or DNxHD in Prepare. There is a 2-week trial available if you want to experiment with it, though the spanned file support is not quite finished there, either.

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:45:34 am
Last Edited By Dave Morrison on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:46:26 am

"The 50% discount was for users who purchased Browser licenses through the Sony Creative Software site. "

I got a serial number for CB from Sony in some sort of "one time offer" but I can't remember now if it was free or a paid upgrade.

"Exporting to .mxf is available as an export format in both Catalyst apps."

I'm not seeing that option...unless it goes by a name other than ".mxf". In Catalyst Prepare, If I select one of my EX1 clips, go to "Export Clips" and select the "Transcode clips" button, the only options on the pulldown are: AVC/AAC(*.mp4), DNxHD, DPX, OpenEXR, ProRes and XAVC.

And this is weird....NOW when I do the same Transcode steps in Catalyst Browse, I only see AVC/AAC(*mp4), DPX, ProRes and XAVC. .mxf doesn't even appear any more on the pulldown list. I must be screwing this up somewhere.

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Mar 6, 2015 at 4:30:41 pm
Last Edited By Bill Griffin on Mar 6, 2015 at 4:41:15 pm

Ian,

I had the same problem yesterday..as I called your office....I have
Catalyst Browse (latest version) on 2 laptops..one is a Mac Book Pro I-7 with 10.8 (2013) and the other is new Dell I-7, both with 8gb of ram....

and they are both doing the same thing...here is the back story:

I shot a corporate video last weekend and on one SxS 32gb card I have 20 minutes of B-roll and 2 very long speeches about 30-40 mins each...well, when I pulled up Catalyst Browse on the MacBook Pro to do a simple "copy"...I noticed that the B-roll clips were .mp4 and they transferred normal...But when it came to the long speeches, it showed the clips as a .smi file and cut off the first 10 minutes of the speeches..and had the little "chain" icon on the upper right side of the clip....so I went ot the Dell laptop and it did the same thing..

so your saying its the program that needs to be updated to handle the longer clips?

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 6, 2015 at 5:08:19 pm

XAVC is .mxf, see my earlier post

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Mar 6, 2015 at 5:27:54 pm

OK I see that..so when do you expect this issue to be updated?

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:38:22 pm

Just to follow up and try to work around this problem, I imported the BPAV card into Premiere Pro CS6 and it has the same issue with spanned files. Did they fix this in CC? Specifically, at the end of the import process, it throws up a warning box listing all the files inside the BPAV folder that it can't read/understand and .smi is one of them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]