FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Catalyst Prepare

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
FCPX and Catalyst Prepare
on Dec 12, 2014 at 9:14:16 pm

I read through the previous posts on this topic, but I wanted to make sure I understand the current state of what does and doesn't work.

OS X 10.10 Yosemite
FCPX 10.1.4
PDZK-LT2_1.2.1 Sony Plug-ing for FCPX

Catalyst Prepare Version ?.? (no About in the menu to get version number)

FCPX seems to be able to read BPAV file structures and import XDCAM files just fine.

However, unlike products like ShotPut Pro, CP does not seem to be able to simply copy the BPAV file structure from a memory card to a HDD.

When you import with CP, not only is the BPAV file structure not maintained, but it seems to always want to transcode the files. (although I'm not a file format expert) You're choices are; XAVC, AVC/AAC, DNxHD or ProRes.

I believe the default is XAVC. Importing with this option, you wind up with a single *.MP4 file in a folder. When I point FCPX to this folder (which only has this *.MP4 file), it does not recognize the file.

So, unless I'm doing something wrong, Catalyst Prepare does not work with FCPX.

Correct?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: FCPX and Catalyst Prepare
on Dec 12, 2014 at 9:39:26 pm

You do not have to transcode in Prepare. We will be releasing an update to support recreating the BPAV folder and metadata structure.

Version info is under Options-->About...

You do not need it for FCP X unless you want to transcode prior to ingest. The PDZKLT2 plugin for X will accept/rewrap XAVC.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 13, 2014 at 1:53:24 pm

[Ian Cook] "You do not have to transcode in Prepare. "

Not being an encoding expert, doesn't Prepare always transcode? Or is the default XAVC the same coding as XDCAM?

[Ian Cook] "You do not need it for FCP X unless you want to transcode prior to ingest. "

Meaning, Prepare always transcodes?

Is this transcoding why FCPX does not recognize any output from Prepare? FCPX only looks for the intact camera BPAV structure?

When Prepare releases a BPAV importing function, will you be able to use the Prepare naming functions? Or will it leave the original BPAV structure and naming intact?

Will prepare ever support an option to unwrap into a *.mov file as did the previous XDCAM importers?

Thanks for responding.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:51:48 pm

[Ian Cook] "You do not have to transcode in Prepare. "

Not being an encoding expert, doesn't Prepare always transcode? Or is the default XAVC the same coding as XDCAM?

-No, you do not have to transcode. As often as not it's used just to make secure copies of the original clips.

[Ian Cook] "You do not need it for FCP X unless you want to transcode prior to ingest. "

Meaning, Prepare always transcodes? No, I meant that you could if you wanted to. For example, if ProRes is your house format.

Is this transcoding why FCPX does not recognize any output from Prepare? FCPX only looks for the intact camera BPAV structure? For .mp4s yes. Continue to use the existing PDZK-LT2 plugin for EX clips.

When Prepare releases a BPAV importing function, will you be able to use the Prepare naming functions? Or will it leave the original BPAV structure and naming intact? TBD

Will prepare ever support an option to unwrap into a *.mov file as did the previous XDCAM importers? Yes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]