FORUMS: list search recent posts

PXW X160 - AVCHD clip spanning problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nevin Styre
PXW X160 - AVCHD clip spanning problems
on Dec 4, 2014 at 7:03:10 pm
Last Edited By Nevin Styre on Dec 4, 2014 at 7:04:26 pm

We recently bought 2 PXW X160 cameras for mostly long-form conference/event shooting, we are using the SxS -> SD card adapter and recording AVCHD to SD cards. I have a 40 minute shot and the camera breaks up the clips after 2.13GB, however butting them up in Premiere results in audio glitch and frame issues (the first 3 frames of the next clip are identical so it looks like it freezes momentarily).

I read that Sony's import software should stitch spanned clips and fix this issue, however Content Browser 2.3.1 (with serial activated that came with the camera) does not see anything on my SD card, no clip show up in the browser no matter what folder on the card is selected. I have tried with an SD card reader and with the camera connected directly through USB.

I'd also like to say how overly convoluted and complicated it is to find answers for anything relating to sony broadcast products, there is little to no documentation about AVCHD usage on our cameras. When you web search half the time you think you find an answer only to be directed to a sony webpage that doesn't exist anymore or to software that has been rebranded and doesn't function the same, or sent to the wrong country's sony site that doesn't cover your specific product model #.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: PXW X160 - AVCHD clip spanning problems
on Dec 4, 2014 at 7:35:01 pm

Clip spanning is normal behavior with AVCHD and FAT file systems. There is metadata in the files that will allow them to be automatically joined if you bring them in using Premiere's Media Browser (as opposed to file-->import). Avid AMA will work the same way.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
Re: PXW X160 - AVCHD clip spanning problems
on Dec 4, 2014 at 7:47:29 pm

Well on my mac pro when I browse the card in Media Browser in Premiere it will not let me view under AVCHD view and will only allow me to browse as "file directory" so I only see the split clips rather than automatically joined clips.

However I just tried it on my macbook pro and it will view in AVCHD mode and the spanned clips show as one, I have no idea why it won't work like this on the mac pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]