FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recovering video when switching slots during filming and first clip is corrupt.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Riding
Recovering video when switching slots during filming and first clip is corrupt.
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:57:01 pm

I have an interesting problem here that someone may have encountered..

Whilst filming last night i let the recording continue as i knew it would switch slots on the EX1R...

However.. the first file on the second memory card that it switched too seems to have a problem.

The filesize when transferred is normal, the video looks there but i cannot import it into vegas and it will not play in WMP or VLC...

i filmed in 720p 50fps I have tried a few things...

Changed extension to mpg and about half the video plays without sound.
Tried converting with handbrake and i either get 9 minutes of the 13 minutes file playing in slow motion with no sound.. or 11 minutes of the 13 minute file playing in slow motion with no sound and its very blocky...

From the file size it would appear all there BUT... obviously when its switched slots something has happened where it isnt correctly built.

PS i imported the clip straight in via usb not using clip browser etc.

I guess in future and for now i should stop recording before letting it switch shots while still filming.

Any advice on getting the clip working... i still have it on my camera so i could try capturing if i have to.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Recovering video when switching slots during filming and first clip is corrupt.
on Nov 26, 2014 at 4:35:08 pm

Spanning cards is normal and doesn't usually corrupt files. If all else fails you can send me the clip and I can take a look at it for you. In the meantime:

-Does it play back/copy/otherwise behave normally in Content Browser or the new Browse application? VLC plays back EX files but I'd like to see how the clip behaves in a Sony application that looks at all the metadata. VLC does not do this; it just looks for an MPEG stream and does its best to decode it.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/contentbrowser

-The Content Browser application can also be used to import the files to a new archive and, in the process, regenerate all the metadata. This can restore clips that have minor metadata kinks in them. To do this, make a new folder and highlight it in one of Browser's navigation/Explorer windows and then File-->Import the suspect .mp4 files. This will create a new BPAV with new XMLs in the location you selected. If you get an "unsupported file" error when you try to import the clip you will probably have to send the file to us.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
Re: Recovering video when switching slots during filming and first clip is corrupt.
on Nov 26, 2014 at 6:07:09 pm

Thanks

Will check this out tonight.. The file is just under 4gb so would take forever to upload to you, hopefully Catalyst will work.

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Nov 26, 2014 at 8:28:31 pm

That worked..

I used Catalyst, clicked the file that wouldnt play or import and then file, transcode.. 720p internet,

Its about a 3rd the sie of the original but the whole amount of footage is there.

In Catalyst there are 4 of the 7 files with exclamation marks and what looks like green lines scratched on the preview...

This file was not critical but its nice to know that files can be recovered if you still have it on the camera and it corrupts when you imported it.

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 26, 2014 at 8:38:16 pm

Ok, good to know.. For the record you should be able to transcode to a higher resolution format such as XAVC-I, ProRes, DNx etc by changing the export preset... You shouldn't be limited to the more compressed web formats.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]