FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to SxS Card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Langdon
Export to SxS Card
on Nov 23, 2014 at 8:41:21 pm

I'm trying to find out, but having no success, as to whether it's possible to export a finished edit from my Mac Book Pro laptop back to a SxS card.

I use both Avid (v7.0.3) and FCP X (v10.1.3).

Ideally I'd like to do this so I can hand over the card to a Sat Truck operator to play out for ENG work.

If this is possible, does anyone have a step by step guide?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Pete Smith
Re: Export to SxS Card
on Jan 5, 2015 at 3:47:21 pm

For exporting to the XD Cam SxS card, the only software I have been able to find with that export tool is Edius. I too run Media Composer and FCP X on a Mac Pro. There are no export tools for that software to go to the card. The really unfortunate thing about Edius is that Mac is not supported. It must be run in windows. Keep in mind, this ONLY applies to exporting to the card for playback from the camera from the XD CAM, SONY, PRIVATE files on the card. Otherwise, exporting to the card is the same as any other export.

Return to posts index

Kevin Langdon
on Jan 5, 2015 at 4:16:04 pm

Thanks Pete.

I'm not looking to export back for camera play out.

I want to export a finished edit to a SxS card to then hand it over to a SNG operator to play out from a deck inside the sat truck.

Whenever I try in FCP X, I keep getting the message saying that I don't have permission to do this when I try to export to a UDF formatted card in a Sony SxS card reader.
(trying with the recent Apple update to include .mxf files)

I've downloaded the Sony SxS UDF Driver several times, etc but still no luck (I've deleted it again before trying again, etc).

In Avid when I click on Output, then XDCam it doesn't recognise the card reader, so I can go no further.

Return to posts index

Pete Smith
on Jan 5, 2015 at 11:20:25 pm

Understood. We record and feed on XD Cam decks here at the tv station. The problem is the same if you are working in the XD Cam EX world. Sorry I left that out of the first reply. As long as you are using this format to feed you need the exporter, that's why you are seeing the message stating you don't have permission. The only work around I can see is to export in some other format such as Quick Time or just make an MPEG2 or MPEG4 export. You just need to get out of the XD Cam EX codec. If you export an MXF file, you will need the NLE to open and feed. I recommend Quick Time and then you can set the file size as you export. On a side note, depending on the gear in the sat truck, many of them don't normally have the ability to feed from XD Cam EX cards anyway. You should also consider that a frame sync is required to feed directly from the computer as the computer does not generate black burst so there's nothing for the transmitter to lock on for sync lock, that's why we use the camera and feed SDI out to the bird. Sat trucks have widely varied equipment for this so I wish you luck.

Return to posts index

Kevin Langdon
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:54:50 pm

All sorted. The problem was my laptop wasn't recognising the UDF driver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]