FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atomos ninja blade and the Sony ex-3,ex-1-r, pmw 320

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
Atomos ninja blade and the Sony ex-3,ex-1-r, pmw 320
on Nov 18, 2014 at 7:43:09 pm

I have three EXDCAM cameras the ex-1r, ex-3, and the pmw 320 and I am considering the purchase of an Atomos product that will work with all three of these cameras.

All three cameras have both HDMI and SDI out. Will the Atomos ninja be triggered when the record button is pressed so that recording can take place on both the SXS cards and the Ninja? If so what product from Atomos will allow this feature?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
Re: Atomos ninja blade and the Sony ex-3,ex-1-r, pmw 320
on Nov 18, 2014 at 8:19:23 pm

I have a Sony EX-3 and it does not have a HDMI port....so you might want to look at the Atomos Samurai Blade...it will work on all 3 cameras using the Hd/SDI port.

HTH

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:07:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if the record button on my sony cameras will start and stop the samurai blade? Also will it record on both the XSX cards and the Samurai at the same time? What happens if your cards run out can you keep recording on the Samurai?

Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

jim masi
on Nov 19, 2014 at 12:38:22 pm

One of my clients has a Ninja Blade that we use with my EX-3. There are some cameras that can send a "record" signal down the SDI, the EX-3 is not one of them. To trigger the Ninja, we set camera to Record Run and the Ninja is set to roll when it sees time code roll. You can double record this way, but if timecode stops (SXS runs out) recording will stop on the Ninja. If you use the record button on the Ninja to trigger record, it won't stop when the SXS recording stops. This client is very happy with the Blade.

Jim Masi
BearHand Production
http://www.bearhand.com

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Nov 19, 2014 at 2:07:10 pm

Thanks Jim for your reply... I would like to be able to use the Atomos recorder in a hand held situation rather than on a tripod. Having to use the record button on the Ninja would make it cumbersome. In the case of the PMW 320 it would always be on a tripod. The ex1-r would most always be hand held so I guess that lets me out of the market for the Atomos products. Since all three of my cameras have SDI out I wonder if the same is true with the Samurai blade? I guess you have already answered my question because all three cameras probably are set up the same way. I sure wish it would work. This would breathe new life into my cameras. I am not in the position to upgrade my cameras now or in the future. The cost of the SXS cards are so expensive and I have had mixed results with aftermarket SXS cards. On my last big project I had an aftermarket card to fail and I lost some important footage before I realized it. What I have been doing is using the aftermarket cards in the first slot and if one were to fail just hit the card switch button and only loose a few seconds of the footage. If I do it the other way (SXS in first slot) and the card runs out the second card some times will not start. Unless you are watching carefully you want notice it for several minutes and then you have to swap cards quickly to avoid loosing more of your shot.

Thanks again....

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

jim masi
on Nov 19, 2014 at 2:36:09 pm

Ronnie, the Samurai Blade is the unit my client has... SDI in from the EX-3, sorry to have confused myself. I do use it camera-mounted, both tripod mounted and hand-held, my EX-3 is set up with an aftermarket shoulder mount so I power it via an Anton Bauer D-tap to save the weight of the Samurai batteries. It works well configured in that way from an operators perspective and doubles as a camera-mounted client monitor during b-roll. As I said this client is very pleased with the Samurai, but unless the Record Run configuration will work for you I don't know if any other products will be any different.

Jim Masi
BearHand Production
http://www.bearhand.com

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Nov 19, 2014 at 5:58:01 pm

OK...this is what I do when I have the Atomos blade on my EX-3.....

first, set the menu on the Atomos to camera, then when the drop down box appears... pick "Sony"

then mount it on your camera....put a sxs card or what I use is a MxM adapter with a 32gb sdhx card....in the A slot....then set the EX-3 time code to "record run"....

When you push the record button on the camera, it records on the sxs card...as the Atomos will see the time code running..it will go into record mode....so, in a way you have 2 records...one in the camera and one on the Atomos box.....simple

and when you push the record button to stop....all will stop. always made sure your recording and stopping as one time, the Atomos box did fool me one time....

so your set to go...

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]