FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving into one folder

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Archiving into one folder
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:36:12 am

I'm archiving my old projects - creating pairs of hard drives with files that are organized by client. I use an older Mac Pro for this, running XDCAM EX Clip Browser. (I know, LTO is better -- but I have decided to go with pairs of hard drives, until LTO has much bigger capacity and makes more sense economically.)

Originally, the XDCAM camera files were in numerous folders. It would make the process of making the second copy a lot more efficient if I used Clip Browser to copy every camera file for a given client into a single "Camera Originals" folder. I use unique filenames by project and year, so I have no concern about duplicating filenames. But is there any reason to avoid a massive folder for camera originals? If so, what is the maximum in gigs or numbers of files?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Archiving into one folder
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:38:48 pm

This should be no problem but I'd strongly recommend using Content Browser instead of the older EX Clip Browser. Operation would be the same-- drag clips from different cards/archives into a new 'master' archive folder. Easiest way to do this is to create the new folder, load it into the lower Explorer window and then drag from cards/archives in the upper Explorer window. Doing it this way will consolidate clips into one growing BPAV folder/archive. Or you can do multiple Copy Alls to any folder and the clips will get stored in separate archives named after each source. Doing it this way will keep the BPAVs separate while storing all the clips in one location. E.g.:

User/Bob/XDCAM EX Archives
/Card 1/BPAV
/Card 2/BPAV

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 13, 2014 at 9:18:30 pm

[Ian Cook] "I'd strongly recommend using Content Browser instead of the older EX Clip Browser."

I'm using an old Mac Pro (1,1) as my Archiving Central, and keeping OSX 10.7.5, so I don't think I can use Content Browser on it. Why do you strongly recommend using Content Browser?

Yes, your procedure of drag-and-drop is the one I'm using, in order to consolidate all the XDCAM clips into one folder. The main reason for this is that for archiving, I've decided to go with multiple hard drives, as opposed to LTO tape. Once I make one backup, I'd really like to simplify creating the "dupe." With Clip Browser it's a lot easier to make a duplicate of one large folder than many small ones.

One related thought: I have to archive all sorts of media, from GoPros, DSLRs, edited files, stills, and Sony XDCAM. I'm curious as to whether anyone is duplicating their media using Finder and ShotSum. If I use the Sony backup software, I have to also use Finder to duplicate the non-XDCAM files. If I just use Finder for everything, and check with ShotSum, I could save a step. Any problems with that?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 14, 2014 at 11:30:03 am

Bob, I'm wondering why you are so keen on archiving camera original media. Surely, that has been edited into a finished production? Why would you need to keep so much redundant media? I know that with me there is a huge amount of media in my original shoot that I'll never either use or need, it's the final timeline that I want to archive. I do this by exporting in the ProRes HQ 422 codec then putting the files on two separate drives, rather as do you. Yes, LTO tape seems the safer way to go but not for a small producer like me. I appreciate that everyone has their own individual requirements, depending on the nature of their business, and clearly you have our reasons for what you do.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:01:18 pm

All good points. Years after a production, I've had requests like "her entire speech at the Lincoln Memorial, not just the parts we used." Or, I'll need an establishing shot of a location, and "Oops, we didn't use that shot in the edit." Admittedly, those instances are rare.

I like your approach. Do you also make split track masters? On occasion I've gotten a request to re-edit a show. When that happens, it really helps to have all the elements, to avoid problems with dissolves and discontinuous music.

I am trying to wean myself off FCP7 and migrate to Premiere Pro. Maybe there's a utility in PP that will gather up all the elements in a show for archiving? Camera start to camera stop?

As for LTO, I have an LTO-3 drive. For years, I was convinced that it was the way to go, but now I've stopped using it. It's slow, it has low capacity, making off-site copies doubles the time, and worst of all, it's mechanical, and I've had to have it rebuilt. If I'd had an urgent need to rebuild a show, I would've been better off with pairs of hard drives than with a drive that was out of commission for two weeks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 14, 2014 at 9:55:34 pm

One of the reasons I chose the XDCAM EX format in the first place was the ability to use a PDW-U1 (I have a U2 at this job) to archive footage to XDCAM discs, which are plenty robust. I'd use Clip Browser to combine the footage, then use its automatic folder split feature to make folders small enough to fit onto 23GB discs. The nice thing is that it would reorder the clips as needed to maximize the available space on the medium. This works for DVD too, or even arbitrary sizes that you specify.

I'm just getting up to speed with the U2, 50GB discs, Content Browser, and finally shooting some projects large enough to fill 50GB discs that are worth archiving. Just exactly what meets that last criteria is going to vary from user to user, of course. I hope this feature is as easy in Content Browser as it was in Clip Browser.

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 15, 2014 at 10:14:37 pm

Yes Bob, the main disadvantage with only archiving files is that on re import you don't get all the audio tracks, only left and right. That way you can't change the mix, it is just an archive of what you did originally.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 16, 2014 at 4:44:13 am

[Michael Slowe] "Yes Bob, the main disadvantage with only archiving files is that on re import you don't get all the audio tracks, only left and right."

When I'm pretty sure we'll be updating the show, I wind up exporting a mix for the client, and versions with "narration only," "sync and effects only," and "music only." Wouldn't it be nice to be able to export about 6 separate tracks?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]