FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PXW-X70 Settings??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Sherman
Sony PXW-X70 Settings??
on Nov 8, 2014 at 11:49:56 am
Last Edited By Ray Sherman on Nov 8, 2014 at 2:44:48 pm

Hi, Just received my new Sony PXW-X70. I know it hasn't been out to long, but was wondering if there are any in depth tutorials on the settings, etc. As you know, owners manuals are pretty vague. Thanks, Ray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony PXW-X70 Settings??
on Nov 11, 2014 at 2:41:17 pm

Outside of some reviews I've not seen any specific training for it. My hunch is that if one has owned other Sony cameras in a similar class, it's behavior isn't much different. Of course many people don't come from that background. I have seen in depth camera profile testing in another forum and there's some debate over settings regarding natural colors and noise levels.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:03:50 pm

Doug Jensen of Vortex Media does great DVD's on the EX cameras amongst others so may well do one on this camera.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:28:58 pm

That was the first place I checked thinking maybe he'd have something for pre-order.
Also Alistair Chapman's XDCAM-USER who reviewed the X70 and has, in the past, done some very detailed online videos explaining the Picture Profile settings for EX cameras. Nothing from either, yet.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 14, 2014 at 11:35:36 am

Craig, I attended a day long presentation of the new PXW- FS7 this week. The options offered as far as codecs and PP settings is beyond belief with this camera, the menus went on forever! DOP's have to be real artists these days it seems and deliberations and experiments with directors and art designers will have to be very detailed prior to shooting. A minefield for the unwary!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Nov 15, 2014 at 11:45:31 pm

Hi, Sorry I took so long to reply...... Thanks goes out to all of you for your input and help. I'll certainly keep an eye on those folks you suggested. I've been so busy, I simply haven't had a chance to go completely through the menu. I can say this, this camcorder looks to be awesome and I can't wait to dive in! As for right now, what camcorder in your opinion comes close to the PXW-X70 in regards to settings, picture profiles, etc.? Thanks again for your help. Ray

Return to posts index

Galen Yeo
on Dec 2, 2014 at 2:14:07 pm

Not much in the menu settings generally to worry about. Camera is new. It's a great unit except for the fiddly lens / zoom controls.

Return to posts index

mario mattei
on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:38:22 pm

I can't change ISO or White Balance in the Cine EI shooting modeā€¦ strange and frustrating!! Anyone else having this issue?

There's two shooting modes: Custom and Cine EI. We want Cine EI because that allows for the Slog3 color spaces. The Custom mode allows only the "matrix" color space and gives a "conventional video camcorder look" according to the manual.

When in Cine EI, we cannot change the white balance. There are three preset settings, 3200, 4300, 5500. There's no dial for the ISO or way to change it. There are the low, medium, and high presets. We can custom set those. However, when changing from the lowest to the highest, there's NO change in exposure. This is strange.

When in Custom shooting mode we can see exposure changes as we change the ISO. We can change the White balance preset and also use the White Balance Set button on the front of the camera set custom settings on the A & B presets.

Basically custom mode functions normally. Cine EI mode is very limiting, but we bought this camera to shoot in Cine style with wide gamut range. There's got to be a way to control ISO and White balance. I don't see anyone online talking about this.

And yes, we did the firmware update. Perhaps our camera is malfunctioning in some way? I've got a gig in Vegas. We're shipping the gear on Sat Jan 3rd. So we need to resolve this.

Thanks for anything and everything,

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Dec 29, 2014 at 1:29:29 pm
Last Edited By Ray Sherman on Dec 29, 2014 at 1:41:06 pm

Right now I'm having trouble finding information, examples, tweaks, etc. of what others are using in regards to their picture profiles. If you know of any or a camcorder that comes close to the x70 with this information, please let me know. Thanks, Ray

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:50:48 pm

Hello Ray and others,

Did you ever find the camera setup info you were looking for Ray? I just took delivery on an X70 today and I'd certainly be appreciative if you or others could get me up to speed on the finer points the setup a bit faster than I'm doing on my own.

TIA,
David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:58:05 pm

Hi David,
Found some info from a couple great videographer's Paul Anderegg and David Dixon from the following two links. Other than that, nothing. I along with a lot of us would love to see what others are using. Please chime in with your experience and settings? Thanks, Ray

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw-x70-fdr-ax100/526187-x70-full-pp-color...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw-x70-fdr-ax100/527493-new-x70-samples.h...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2015 at 9:18:52 pm

Ray,

I have found the various picture profiles to be pretty decent, depending upon my needs. If I am going to color grade, I use None, or Profile 4; if I want to deliver to a client or to a stock footage company who cannot be trusted to grade the footage, I've found Profile 2 to be the best solution, as it crushes that blacks in the camera, and the color looks pretty good too.

Keep in mind, as an experienced colorist, I typically prefer shooting and/or receiving video material with the widest possible latitude. However, as mentioned above, sometimes there are some shoots where you need to deliver material right from the camera, knowing it will never be corrected or graded, in those cases you just pick something that looks good to your eye and fire away.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Apr 30, 2015 at 7:25:49 pm

Hi David, Thanks for the info..... I'll play around with profiles 4 and 2 as you mentioned. I sincerely appreciate and value your input, especially with you being an experienced colorist. I'm sure we will hear from others as time goes on. I'm extremely new to this camcorder as well. I've been shooting in XAVC which looks awesome so far. As you know, a 4K upgrade is suppose to be coming soon.... wasn't given in the first quarter as promised. Rumors have it to be sometime in June. Thanks again, you've been great. Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]