FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless lapel mic suggestions for EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Riding
Wireless lapel mic suggestions for EX1R
on Oct 23, 2014 at 1:37:40 pm

Anybody have a heads up on a decent compatible wireless mic set up to use on channel 2? the other channel would be either the internal mic or a shotgun.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Wireless lapel mic suggestions for EX1R
on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:16:59 pm

I'm using a Sony UWP-V6 wireless kit for an EX1R and EX3. I liked the first kit so much I bought a second one. I just discovered that this kit has unfortunately been discontinued according to the B&H Photo web site but they do suggest an alternate from Sony named the UWP-D16.

If this kit is anything like the UWP-V6 the performance should be stellar. It has a true diversity receiver which is a must for clean audio. The reason I was first drawn to the Sony UWP-V6 kit was because they did some of their testing on it with the EX series of cameras. I previously had problems with picket fencing and dropouts with other wireless brands but never with these. The price of the UWP-D16 is higher than mine by a $100.00 dollars or so USD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025757-REG/sony_uwp_d16_30_bodypack_...

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 24, 2014 at 10:52:55 am

I used to use the Sennheiser EW 100 G2 on my EX 1 camera for a number of years with great results. When the new regulations on band usage came in here in the UK I was told that this mic was illegal.

I then bought the Shure model WL93 with the SM93 lapel mic. I found this to be superior to my old Sennheiser in a number of aspects. Firstly it's far lighter in weight, which is easier for the cameraman and the talent. Secondly, the tuning and syncing is automatic and far less bother than the Sennheiser, and thirdly, and more important, the microphone is quite amazing. It is tiny in size, has a square shape which fits well under the Rycote 'stickies' that I use to attach it to the talent, and gives a very good sound indeed.
I have used this set up on a number of difficult documentaries and no one listening to my audio on the films would know that such a set up is being used.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Oct 24, 2014 at 3:04:10 pm

Also, take a look at the new upgraded Sennheiser EW 100 G3, that's the G3... which is far better than the G2, which has less features .

I own 2 G3's and love them as I have had no problems with them. I shoot alot of news and reality and the G3 has a better range, as in distance, and is "quiter" in the noise department as I use them on my EX-3....

HTH

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 24, 2014 at 1:28:01 pm

FYI, and I'm sure many of you have been aware of this, but the 600 MHz band is probably going to go away. So if you buy new microphones, keep that in mind. I just bought a couple of Shure systems for our church and swerved away from the 600 MHz band after a friend of mine, an AV installer, told me that one of the factory reps had just come through town and was livid about this issue.

Here's an article about it from the beginning of 2014
. I haven't followed the issue closely since I discovered it, as I simply decided to avoid the band altogether. Once government bureaucrats get an idea in their head they don't let it go, so I don't care if it's a "sure thing" or not at this point. By now it may even be a done deal.

At my last job we had Sony analog systems, I believe they were UWP-V1s, and it seemed like ours had more noise than what we'd previously used. I loved the mics, though. At my new job I inherited an Audio-Technica system that sounds hideous and is square in the 600 MHz range, so I'm hoping to do like Don mentioned: go with the UWP-D16. If it's like the UWP-V1, it'll attach to the top of the camera nicely too, which is a bonus.

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 26, 2014 at 11:19:11 am

Clint, what side of the pond are you on? Here in the UK I think that they've settled the band issues, hence my purchase of the Shure. As you say you also had this, what did you think? Did you have that tiny, square shaped mic?

As to the siting of the receiver, I always fix it on the camera (EX 1), I got an extended shoe which can hold the camera mic and the radio receiver. Pity there's only two XLR inputs as I'd really like a back up mic near the talent in addition to the radio one if practical.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 30, 2014 at 7:57:10 pm

I'm in the USA, so I'm subject to whatever the braintrust at the Federal Communications Commission comes up with. The Shure mics I got for our church were the lower-budget BLX series, since I didn't have money for the ULX that I wanted.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]