FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting sxs data to pc

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
blair ryan
getting sxs data to pc
on Oct 22, 2014 at 3:26:36 am

I'm just about to hire a pmw ex3 for an event. I have never used the xdcam format before. How do I transfer the sxs card dara to pc? I hear that the usb from camera to pc is very slow. I have a laptop with a pci express 54 slot. Will this accept the sxs pci express 34 card? The store I am hiring from are not much help, they are offering me a thunderbolt card reader but say I will have to purchase a thunderbolt compatible hd. Your advice and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: getting sxs data to pc
on Oct 22, 2014 at 2:35:56 pm

There are any number of ways to do this...

-Camera (USB 2.0, no driver required)
-Card reader (USB 3.0, no driver required)
-Express card slot (PCI-E, requires SxS Device Driver)

You should use our Content Browser application to transfer the contents as this will keep you from having to deal with all the data on a file and folder level. Simply drag the clips to a new folder within the application or use the 'copy all' button and select a destination. An exact clone of the card with all the XMLs and other metadata will be created in whatever location you choose. If you do manually copy, make sure you drag the entire BPAV folder from the card. Do not rename it. Put it into another folder if you need to label it. As long as you have this you have everything. As far as importing into your editor:

-Avid: download the XDCAM AMA plugin and AMA-link the card/archive.

-FCP 7: Use Sony Content Browser, which works as an FCP 7 plugin. Select import-->Sony Content Browser from FCP's File menu. Select the clips and import by control/right clicking on them and choosing 'Import into FCP'.

-FCP X: install the PDZK-LT2 plugin and import using FCP X's normal import routine

-Premiere: no plugins required. Point the Media Browser to the card and drag the clips you want into your project bin.

Note that with FCP and other apps that require plugins there is no conversion of the format taking place. All current NLEs support the XDCAM codecs. FCP requires a QuickTime file so our plugin rewraps to QT without changing the codec. The Avid plugin is necessary because most current file based formats are linked via AMA and Avid requires vendors to write their own AMA plugins.

Return to posts index

blair ryan
Re: getting sxs data to pc
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:53:23 am

Ian,
thanks for the info.
I have already installed the SxS driver to my laptop with the PCI express slot.
Hopefully this should be fine.
I will be using Sony Vegas so I have installed content browser 1.1.
Pick the camera up tomorrow
fingers crossed!!!

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]