FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing from the PXW X160 into FCPX using SDXC cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Waring
Importing from the PXW X160 into FCPX using SDXC cards
on Oct 8, 2014 at 10:05:49 am

I'm a novice to the Sony XDCAM world having just bought the PXW X160.

What attracted me to the camera was the ability to record most of the codecs to SDXC cards, of which I have plenty, rather than having to fork out for SxS cards.
The camera does indeed record using XAVC L for example onto SDXC class 10 cards. I can see the clips and play them on the camera. However when I try and import them into Final Cut Pro X, either by plugging in the USB cable, or directly from the SDXC card it crashes FCPX with a message 'Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the flamingo_XDCAM_RAD plug-in'.

I though that something called Content Browser might help so I bought that from Sony but although I can see the clips and play them in the Content Browser it doesn't allow me to import them into FCPX or to export them as something that could be used by FCPX. Most of the export options are greyed out and the ones that aren't don't work.

Recording to AVCHD and importing to FCPX works just fine so I can use the camera but I was hoping to be able to use some of the more superior codecs with it.

Anyone else struggling with this one or have any good solutions please, ideally nothing too technical?

I'm using OSX 10.9.5 with FCPX 10.1. on a mid 2012 Mac Book Pro with 16 GB

Return to posts index

Andy Turner
Re: Importing from the PXW X160 into FCPX using SDXC cards
on Oct 9, 2014 at 6:39:10 pm
Last Edited By Andy Turner on Oct 9, 2014 at 6:48:51 pm

I really want to get this camera (and help answer your question) but I'm not real happy with Sony since they have not made the 160 available in the US. Only the PX180 is being sold here. I'm having a hard time paying an extra $800 for Wifi. Sorry...venting

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Oct 9, 2014 at 9:20:06 pm

Thats a pity. I decided that I can very easily live without Wifi and without remote control by smart phone. It all seems a bit too gimmicky to me. I tried the smart phone control out on my FDR AX100 and it sort of works but I wouldn't want to rely on it working.

The story seems to be that support for the XAVC L codec in FCPX is coming soon but is dependant on both a change to the XDCAM plugin from Sony and to FCPX from Apple.

Meanwhile I've tested AVCHD on the PXW X160 and no problems importing from the card to FCPX. I've also tested MPEG HD422 writing to SDXC card and importing to FCPX and that works too. The card I'm using is a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC card rated at 95 MBPS, but that might be overkill.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Oct 13, 2014 at 8:29:07 am

Martin, have you tried this software from Sony:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-lt2

I believe it is free. it contains a FCPX plugin to support Sony media.

Also, the future for Sony Content Browser is here:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/catalystbrowse

It is also free for now, if you recently bought Content Browser it will be a free upgrade.

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Oct 13, 2014 at 9:40:28 am

Yes. I am indeed using PDZK-LT2 but it currently doesn't support the XAVC L codec. I've been told that support is coming soon (no timescales quoted) and that it is also dependant on a change within FCPX.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:49:29 am

aha I missed the xavc long part in your original post.

Are you able to post a small clip online anywhere? I am analysing clips at the moment :-)

thanks
mark

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Oct 14, 2014 at 9:48:46 am

I've just tried the Sony 'Catalyst Browse' tool and that does let me read the footage shot in XAVC L on my PXW X160 and lets me transcode it into Prores which can then be imported into FCPX.

So at least there is a work around until the FCPX plugin gets sorted.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/catalystbrowse

Return to posts index

Callie Malan
on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:55:48 am

Hi Martin,

I recently bought the PXW-X160. I am using the adaptor which was included with my purchase( a Sony SD Card Adaptor for XDCAM Series SDHC/SDXC), along with a SanDisk Extreme Plus 80 MB/s SDHC Class 10 SD card.

I am faced with a huge problem however. The camera does not allow me to record any codec, apart from AVCHD( which is my least prefrible codec), to the SD card. The moment I insert the SD card via the adaptor into the SxS card slot, and error message pops up which reads: " Unknown Media(A) Please Change ". And when I attempt to format the SD card, an error message is displayed as follows: " Format Media(A) NG: Cannot Format ". Followed by another error message: " Unknown Media(A) Please Change ". I have tried out an SxS card, and it allows me to make use of all the other codecs that the camera has to offer. However . . .

I don't want to buy an SxS card, if I know it is possible to shoot all of the PXW-X160's codecs on an SD card. And, because SxS cards are extremely expensive. So before I go out to buy an SxS card, please help me understand why this is happening. Could it be because of the brand SD card, or the fact that it is SDHC instead of SDXC? Please help!

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:39:25 pm

I'm on my phone and I don't have access to the manual but I'm pretty sure that with an SDHC card all you can do is AVCHD. You need SDXC cards to use some of the other codecs. Even then you can't do the top one but you can record all the flavours of XAVC L. I've been recording the top XAVC L codec to SDXC cards. My problem was then how to get the footage into FCPX on my Mac but I've solved it using Catalyst Browse.
If only Sony's documentation was as good as their equipment. I feel like a YouTube review/ tutorial might be handy. I might make one.

Return to posts index

Riccardo Molinari
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:09:43 am

Hi, I am writing this message because I have a little problem with my PXW-X160.

If I insert in X160 my original adapter Sony MEAD-SD02 with Sandisk SDXC da 6Gb U3 memory ( http://www.sandisk.it/products/memory-cards/sd/extreme-uhs-1-45mbs/?capacit... ) and then an original SXS memory 16Gb I see this message on display:”Types of Media (A) and (B) are different”. ! ! !
Here

you can see a short video and here http://i.share.pho.to/861f3a83_l.jpeg a memory card’s photo.

It is normal ? I can’t witch from memory A to memory B….I must remove memory A (adapter + Sandisk memory) to use SXS card :( :(
Someone can help me ?

Thanks for all
Riccardo

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:46:29 am

I can't answer your question as I've not used an SxS card yet but I'd like to know if you think using an SxS card (as opposed to an SDXC card) is worth the additional cost. That is, is using the XAVC-I codec significantly better than using the XAVC-L codec - so much so as to justify the price difference in getting SxS cards for it?

Return to posts index

Riccardo Molinari
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:56:31 am

I use XAVC-L quality usually.
Some day ago I bought an SXS 16Gb card to mae test and short clip in XAVC-I.

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Mar 2, 2015 at 2:16:24 pm

Thats's exactly what I've been thinking of doing too. I'd love to see a side by side comparison of the two codecs or get your thoughts on whether the XAVC-I codec is worth the extra investment in cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]