FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM, XAVC flavors and FCPX compatibility?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2014 at 8:07:48 pm

Since the newer XDCAM cameras are using a variety of XAVC codecs, I'd be curious to know Sony's roadmap for supporting them (wrapping, not transcoding) in FCPX.

I'd like to hear from Ian although anyone with any information would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Sony XDCAM, XAVC flavors and FCPX compatibility?
on Oct 6, 2014 at 8:36:42 pm

Hi Craig,

All the professional XAVC intra codecs are natively supported in FCP X. You still need our plugin to get the .mxfs recognized but once they are you have the option to transcode or rewrap upon import. Basically if you leave "create optimized media" de-selected FCP will rewrap the XAVC file to an .mov.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2014 at 8:52:40 pm

Support for XAVC-L?

I'm only seeing this on Sony's XDCAM Microsite for FCPX plugins
PDZK-LT2 - Camera Import Plug-In Version 1.0 for Final Cut Pro X

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:36:09 pm
Last Edited By Ian Cook on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:45:30 pm

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/software_for_sony_equipment

XAVC-Long support is coming, currently all the XAVC-intra codecs are supported.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:36:21 am

Thanks. Please do post when XAVC Long GOP is available for FCPX.

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Oct 8, 2014 at 11:56:50 am

Ahh. Just posted a question about getting my XAVC L footage off my new PXW X160 into FCPX from SDXC cards. Maybe this answers my question if support for XAVC L is not there yet.

Any idea on timescales?
When the support comes will it be an update to the existing XDCAM plugin that will enable me to read my clips from an SDXC card?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 8, 2014 at 2:10:55 pm

I can't post a date yet but it is coming very soon. I'll have another update shortly. The support will come in the form aof a pro apps update from Apple and a new LT2 plugin from us. Workflow will not change from what we do now with XDCAM and XAVC-intra .mxf files.

Return to posts index

Martin Waring
on Oct 8, 2014 at 2:48:33 pm

OK. Thanks for the quick response.

Return to posts index

mark ostrow
on Oct 30, 2014 at 6:51:15 am

Dear Ian, three weeks or so have gone by since you last posted. Any news on the native support for XAVC Long GOP in FCPX?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 30, 2014 at 4:55:46 pm

Should be within the next month or two. We are working with Apple and shooting for the end of the year but will likely get everything in place a bit before that. In the meantime our new Catalyst apps can convert to Pro Res or XAVC-I.

Return to posts index

mark ostrow
on Oct 30, 2014 at 7:24:34 pm

Great news. I hope you can get this finished within said timeframe.

I tried Catalyst Browse to convert a 100-Mb XAVC file to Pro Res 422 and it ended up being 500 Mb. With smaller projects this may not be a problem but with larger ones it is a different story. As others have noted, this can only be done one file at a time, but I imagine with Catalyst Prepare there is some batch option. I have not tried the demo version of Prepare yet but I am curious to hear what others have to say about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to posts index

George Greenwood
on Nov 5, 2014 at 8:34:30 am

I have managed to convert a XAVC to Pro Res but a bit by luck and Have not been able to do a group of clips. It would be great if you could direct me to a workflow. A video of the process would be vunderbar.
Best wishes George Greenwood

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 5, 2014 at 3:23:19 pm

Browse currently only does one file at a time. We had to take batch processing out at the last minute due to a development issue. I am working to get that put back into the free application. In the meantime you can use Prepare, which does batch processing. It has a full featured 14 day free trial.

Return to posts index

George Greenwood
on Nov 5, 2014 at 3:39:30 pm

Thank you Ian. Does Prepare have a workflow to help an old codger. Best wishes George

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 5, 2014 at 3:53:35 pm

lol, it's actually pretty intuitively designed and easy to use. if you have Qs or problems let me know here or via support and I will get you sorted

Return to posts index

chris schwarze
on Nov 14, 2014 at 12:31:08 am

Hi Ian
I too am having trouble with XAVC. Sony recommended Content Browser, and included a serial number for it with the PWX-X70 camera.
Content Browser doesn't find the XAVC files. (It does find AVCHD).
I have installed Catalyst browse and prepare. Prepare does transcode files to ProRes. I have also installed pdzk-lt2.
The alarming thing now is that when I try to media import into FCPX from the card (san-disc extreme pro) it crashes FCPX AND corrupts the media!
I get a message 'FCP quit while using the flamingo_RAD plug-in'.
Can I delete this plug-in?
Chris

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:26:28 pm

the LT2 plugin does not support XAVC-L yet so a transcode via Prepare or Browse is currently the best way to get these clips into FCP. there will be an update to FCP and LT2 to support the X70 and Long GOP XAVC.

Return to posts index

Regin Toftegaard
on Jul 7, 2015 at 12:33:37 pm

You actually can work with XAVC-L files in FCPX. However, it requires a specific routine in order to make run smoothly.

First, you need to be running Final Cut X 10.2.1 and your Sony PXW-X70 needs to be running on firmware version 2.00.
It isn’t possible to import directly from the SD card, as the folder structure on the card somehow confuses FCPX. To make it work, you have to take the folder “XDROOT” on your card and copy it into an empty folder on your hard drive. It is very important that nothing else but the XDROOT folder is in this new folder on your hard drive.

Once this is done, you will be able to import the footage from the folder you created on your hard drive into FCPX.

Return to posts index

Ryan Kavanagh
on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:33:18 pm

I just started using the Sony A7s, which also uses XAVC format. I installed the plugin from Sony (PDZK-LT2_1.2.1) and I started trying to bring the files. I also saw some third party workflow where you convert everything to quicktime using the "Sony XAVC Converter for Mac", I hated this idea because I don't want to waste more time and disk space than I have to. I used XDCam for a long time in the past and one of the things you can't do with XDCam is mess with the folder structure the camera creates on the card. But one of the things I noticed when working with Canon 60D was that when I maintained the card structure FCPX thought that the folder, even when located on a hard drive, was a card in a camera and force itself to make "optimized media". I'm not a fan of this because like I said I want to save disk space and time. So with the Canon I figured out that if I break the card's folder structure by renaming the folders "xDICM" instead of "DICM", nothing fancy, FCPX no longer thinks the folder is a card and I can "leave in place" the files instead of transcoding. I thought I'd give this a try with the card structure of the Sony A7s, and this actually worked great as far as I can tell. The files work fine in FCPX (10.1.3 and 10.1.4), and I don't have to bother with transcoding anything. On the card there are lots of other folders and files, including an ".XML" file accompanying each ".MP4" file, but I just ignore (but maintain separately) all that and put the video (.MP4) files into a separate folder. I did it on my first project with the Sony A7s and it worked perfectly fine. If anyone knows of any unintended consequences this may cause I'd like to know. Also, does the F55 card have the same folder structure as the Sony A7s, since they are both XAVC? If they do maybe you should try what I'm doing.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 20, 2014 at 2:28:03 am

The FCP 10.1.4 is compatible with MXF and XAVC natively. YOu can update your FCP and have a try. Or if it doesn't work, try to find a xavc converter then transcode them before you load into your fcp

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 22, 2014 at 4:29:17 pm

X70 is XAVC-Long which, regrettably is not supported in FCP X yet. There will be an update shortly but in the meantime you can use one of our Catalyst applications to convert to Pro Res

Return to posts index

chris schwarze
on Dec 22, 2014 at 11:35:24 pm

Hi Ian
I downloaded the recent update of Catalyst Browse. Unfortunately it now does not support linked media recorded on the X70. My trial of Catalyst prepare has expired, does this support linked media? (Long record time media on cards).
Does anybody have actual experience of XAVC recorded on a X70 into FCPX.

Chris

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:07:18 pm

The latest versions of both applications (1.10) support spanned clips. You are recording in AVCHD on the X70 and seeing otherwise?

Return to posts index

chris schwarze
on Jan 14, 2015 at 2:14:28 am

Hi Ian
No, I am recording the new format XAVC-L long format on the X70. Very long takes. A message appears in the software saying that spanned clips (XAVC?) are not supported.

regards
Chris

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 14, 2015 at 3:15:51 pm

Are you sure you are recording XAVC and not AVCHD? XAVC should only span from card to card since the media gets formatted exFAT (which does not have the Fat32 file size limitation).

Return to posts index

chris schwarze
on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:11:07 am

Sorry, my mistake. I recorded AVCHD. The catalyst (v2.3.0) browse message reads 'transcoding is not available for spanned AVCHD clips'

recorded to a single 64GB card, record duration 21min, cam sony X70

regards
Chris

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:51:26 pm

Copy the files over first using Browse. The error is misleading and I have asked the dev team to change the wording and give the user a little more direction. When you do a Copy, Browse creates a concatenated (joined/self-contained) .m2ts file. This can be transcoded to any supported output format.

Return to posts index

jay ernst
on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:28:31 pm

ian
any update on when xavc long will be supported by fcpx
thanks

Return to posts index

John Grenz
on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:06:37 am

Also checking in to see any updates on XAVC Long working in FCPX? Really appreciate all the help and feedback Ian has been providing. Just hoping the native support in FCPX comes soon.

Return to posts index

chris schwarze
on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:44:19 am

Also waiting for FCPX to accept XAVC long.
In the meantime, I have looked for a workaround. Catalyst browse will encode to pro-res, but doesn't keep the time code, which is a MAJOR problem for my workflow.
Unless I am doing something wrong....
Anybody have a plan B?

Return to posts index

Chris Church
on Mar 21, 2015 at 7:14:21 am

Hi guys,

Also awaiting some FCPX XAVC long GOP updates, are we any nearer to this. Massively frustrating when all other NLE's seem to handle long GOP with ease and powerful edit software like FCX still can't natively pull it in?

Any news or at least an update would be hugely appreciated. Browse does work but as Chris mentions above time code is still hugely important.

I know the Sony SXS MPEG 2 Long GOP with EX3 work fine with FCPX with the correct drivers installed so surprised me that's it's taking so long for Sony to get the XAVC L to work natively.

Also on another note for those using FCPX is it just me or even with thunderbolt eternal drives does anyone still have spinning wheel issues? Be interested to know, using early 2014 MacBook Pro, better performance is on, background render off etc. 10.1.4 installed, Everything starts off fine then gets sticky.

Cheers

Chris

Return to posts index

Young monica
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:22:48 am

Fortunately for users of FCP, Apple have released an update to the Pro Video Formats available in Quicktime. However, according to users feedback, it currently looks like the support is meaningless. Users still can not transfer XAVC files into FCP for further editing smoothly.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:29:52 pm

XDCAM and XAVC Intra-frame .mxf files are fully supported. These files will import without issue. XAVC-Long GOP files are not currently supported but will be soon. As soon as I have an updated ETA from Apple I will share this info.

Return to posts index

Benoit Escobedo
on Apr 20, 2015 at 9:39:35 pm

Any word on XAVC L support on FinalCutPro X ??? v10.2 is out and no PXW-X70 support for native ingest/edit for XAVC L without loosing time transcoding, time is money and this is causing problems on my workflow, I hope SONY and APPLE solve this issue ASAP!!! PLEASE!!! I LOVE my PXW-X70 and I NEED to ingest/edit natively XAVC L on FinalCutPro X

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 23, 2015 at 10:30:28 pm

Also the TC issue with ProRes transcodes in Browse has been fixed and the update should be posted tomorrow. V 1.2.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Mar 30, 2015 at 2:11:37 am

thx for your post and you reall make my day. And I was always struggle with the XAVC videos which has been a big headache for me. Before noticing your post, I was using some third-party converter to help me, although it worked well , still prefer for the Browser.

Return to posts index

Chris Church
on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:24:01 pm
Last Edited By Chris Church on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:31:20 pm

Hi guys,

really disappointed with a few things here, Ian please tell me something is being sorted for sony's XAVC HD LONG GOP. Paulo, the camera is fantastic used it on a few shoots now and not disappointed in the slightest, image quality is great once you've got the XAVC HD footage into FCPX. But heres where I'm really miffed and incredibly frustrated at both Apple and Sony. The FS7 XAVC L seems to be able to be ingested into FCPX fine, the XAVC HD LONG on an SDXC card is a completely different story in that it STILL doesn't work!! This is after an Apple Pro Video Formats update and FCPX 10.2 update

See below the attached screen shots updates confirmation about XAVC (though doesn't actually say XAVC HD LONG) How is this actually possible!! I bought the PXW X70 camera with the view to a super fast shoot and edit turnaround, Ian, are Apple and Sony aware that this is still happening with this Camera, this is my as is many peoples profession and when you lay out money for new kit with future updates being imminent and you end up having to spend time going backward in your workflow as you still have to convert files via Sony's converter when surely with FCPX you should easily be able to ingest this file from source, it's crazy Please tell me what has gone wrong here and tell me some software is being written to enable XAVC HD LONG GOP directly to FCPX???

A really frustrated Chris

Chris Church
Producer-Director-Editor
Wire frame Media Ltd
Broadcast Corporate Online
http://www.wireframemedia.co.uk

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 22, 2015 at 9:25:08 pm

totally understand your frustration, will have more to say on this very shortly

Return to posts index

Chris Church
on Apr 24, 2015 at 5:43:21 pm

Hi Ian, any news on this? Been doing a bit of research and changing file names at root level, If i moved the XDROOT folder to root level it acttually showed my SDXC card as and sxs card so even tried the good old BPAV route to see if i could trick the old computer system. Do you have any info as to why this may be not working? I know its working on the FS7 but not the SDXC cards. Any kind of information would be hugely appreciated

Chris

Chris Church
Producer-Director-Editor
Wire frame Media Ltd

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 24, 2015 at 10:10:36 pm

there is an issue with files from the X70. renaming or moving the directories will not help, I'm afraid. this is getting fixed asap.

Return to posts index

Chris Church
on Apr 25, 2015 at 7:19:14 am

Thanks Ian, so will that be a firmware update for the camera? Or will it just be something that works when it's been tinkered at your end?

Chris Church
Producer-Director-Editor
Wire frame Media Ltd

Return to posts index

Paulo Gordon
on Apr 30, 2015 at 10:32:37 pm

I just updated my Mac Pro laptop to Yosemite OS, which automatically updated my FCPX to 10.2 version. I still have not purchased the Sony PXW-X70 camcorder because of the mentioned issues in using XAVC Long GOP with FCPX 10.2. I definitely want to maintain 4:2:2 10-bit at 50 Mbps, so I'm wondering if this will be maintained when using FCPX 10.2. Any updates to the compatibility issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 30, 2015 at 10:36:47 pm

Yes, when the fix is applied, which should be very soon, the video will import at its native settings.

Return to posts index

Roberto Duarte
on May 10, 2015 at 10:38:48 am

I do not see this "fix" happening anytime soon, as one can notice, this is a 7 month old thread, shame

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 11, 2015 at 9:59:03 pm

the thread covers XAVC Long support in FCP X, which has been under discussion for some time. the fix we are talking about now is for a specific FCP issue with files from the X70. it is being treated as an absolute priority and will be addressed soon. i will have another update shortly. thanks to all the X70 owners for their patience and for sticking with us. regrettably the introduction of new codecs often brings with it some complications.

Return to posts index

Roberto Duarte
on May 11, 2015 at 10:14:49 pm

exactly what I meant, the X70, camcorder I own since late October! Is there any deadline for this fix? thanks

Return to posts index

Benoit Duez
on May 15, 2015 at 6:18:13 pm

Hello Mr. Ian, have you solved the FCPX import problem for XAVC-L from PXW-X70? Today Apple updated again FCPX to V10.2.1 and still can't import my footage, I'm guessing that maybe this fix is coming from a scheduled V2.0 firmware update this june, please let us know if it's possible any information of the progress on this fix, maybe some details could soothe our anxiety (Date, technical data, progress). I keep checking several times a day on the internet, forums, etc... about any progress or definitive fix. Thank You in advance.

Return to posts index

Benoit Duez
on May 17, 2015 at 8:35:48 pm
Last Edited By Benoit Duez on May 17, 2015 at 10:29:28 pm

Thanks for your advice PAOLO GORDON, this workflow (EditReady or Catalyst Browse) is what I already use too for importing into FCPX and try to AVOID, the point is that I'd prefer ingesting/editing in native format because transcoding takes time(=MONEY), ingesting BIG ProRes files takes time(=MONEY) and also increases dramatically Storage Bandwidth and Space(=MONEY), personally i'd never use PROXY or LT variant of ProRes, to me is STANDARD or HQ as minimum for EDITING, for delivery maybe ProRes LT depending on the broadcaster requirements. As every one on this forum thread i'm hoping to ingest/edit natively in FCPX, and that APPLE and SONY can SOLVE this issue ASAP!!! WHICH THEY HAVE DEMONSTRATED WITH FACTS AFTER SEVERAL UPDATES AND PROMISES THAT THEY CAN'T AND DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!! , and also hoping that "COMING VERY SOON" as promised SEVERAL TIMES from MR. IAN COOK doesn't take FOREVER!!!

Return to posts index

Roberto Duarte
on May 18, 2015 at 8:31:19 pm

I think sony wanted to release their new editing software first, which incidentally was released same day as fcpx 10.2.1; this somehow clarifies how the agenda goes..

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 18, 2015 at 9:20:49 pm

we are still waiting on a definitive fix for existing footage, though the firmware update will enable new clips to be imported

Return to posts index

Roberto Duarte
on May 18, 2015 at 9:43:43 pm

waiting or working on a fix? If the firmware would solve the problem, I really think you guys should release it immediately, show some love for the people!

Return to posts index

Toby Mills
on May 22, 2015 at 4:19:13 am

Hello Ian. Thanks for the updates on the process of resolving this issue.
I recently purchased a Sony PXW-X70 and have since encountered the same issues discussed in this forum with FCPX.2 & the Sony XACV files.
While we are awaiting a solution, what is your recommendation for batch transcoding the XACV files? I would prefer to not spend $$ if the solution is soon to arrive......The Sony Content browser is free but apparently does not batch trancode.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 22, 2015 at 3:23:36 pm

you can use our updated Browse application to transcode to ProRes until this issue is resolved

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse

Return to posts index

Benoit Duez
on Jun 3, 2015 at 8:56:44 pm

FINALLY!!! GOOD NEWS POR FCPX USERS!!! I Found today a V2.0 Firmware on Sony's UK servers for the PXW-X70, i did the update following the instructions available on the Update Procedure manual, then formatted my card and did a XAVC-L test shot and then IMPORTED/EDITED NATIVELY ON FCPX!!! v10.2.1 (both NTSC and PAL). You can get the new firmware and instructions here: http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/software/SET_150526_PSG
ADVICE!!! before performing the firmware update backup all your camera settings and picture profiles on a card(there is a menu for that), because they will be wiped out during update process, and read CAREFULLY the Update Procedure manual. ITS A JOY TO INGEST AND EDIT NATIVE XAVC-L FORMAT WITHOUT TRANSCODING!!! FINALLY!!!

Return to posts index

Benoit Duez
on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:05:23 pm

OSX YOSEMITE V 10.10.3 and FCPX V10.2.1

Return to posts index

Benoit Duez
on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:41:28 pm
Last Edited By Benoit Duez on Jun 4, 2015 at 1:52:38 am

Did you READ and FOLLOWED CAREFULLY the instructions on the Update Procedure Manual? they suggest using the original cable that came in the camera's box... or try another machine... i did it on an old 2009 imac from my office then later played with the footage on other systems... all with yosemite 10.10.3 and fcpx 10.2.1, by the way you can't mix AVCHD and XAVC-L on the same card, once you record and mix AVCHD on the card FCPX sees XAVC-L as a picture file and sound file, and AVCHD is a video clip, but I don't care shooting AVCHD (and never did), to me shooting on XAVC-L 4:2:2 10 bit 50mbps was the reason i bought this camera (also a Broadcaster Requirement) and it's replacing my 5DMKIII in many shooting situations.

Return to posts index

Chris Church
on Jun 5, 2015 at 12:16:41 pm
Last Edited By Chris Church on Jun 5, 2015 at 3:53:54 pm

Not sure if anyone else has had to do this but I can finally pull in the XAVC Long Clips natively into FCPX. I've tried and tested, only thing is its not 100% correct but all you have to do on the sdxc card in the finder is move the XDROOT folder into the same root level folder where you see Private and its finally able to read all clips at XAVC Long without any nasty Jpegs or separate audio clips etc Hallelujah !! You have to also update the firmware on the X70 to version 2.0 and run the latest FCPX 10.2.1

One thing to be mindful about that I've just figured out is that if you move the XDROOT folder over be and you want to lets say import a few clips and still use the card to go back out and shoot, in the finder menu just drag the XDRoot folder back into private to keep the clips recording in the one XDRoot folder other wise you'll end up with several XDROOT folders as the camera doesn't record into the artificially placed folder in the private level. (think that makes sense?!!) any questions feel free to ask.

Chris

Chris Church
Producer-Director-Editor
Wire frame Media Ltd

Return to posts index

Gideon Breytenbach
on Dec 14, 2015 at 6:45:00 am

Hi Ian

I would like to know if there is any software available to create XDCAM HD422 1080i50 files wrapped in MOV on a windows machine. I can only manage to wrap it as MXF - but channel wants delivery on MOV. Which means having to copy the files to my mac after export and re-encoding it there into XDCAM Mov.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]