FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS "Unknown Media"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
SxS "Unknown Media"
on Sep 22, 2014 at 3:47:45 pm

My EX1R displayed a message that one of my three SxS cards was "Unknown Media." The material on the card is readable in my Mac.

I did recently change from P30 to P24 and back to P30, and I thought I had formatted afterward, but I am not certain.

At any rate, does anyone have experience with this issue? There have been a couple posts here by others with the same problem, but I didn't see the solution.

Thanks!

Bob C
Sony SxS-1 32GB ("SBS-32G1A) card

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: SxS "Unknown Media"
on Sep 22, 2014 at 4:28:37 pm

Is there still an EX card image on it (BPAV folder etc)? On a healthy card this will only come up if the file system format is not recognized. Can you try offloading it, formatting it in your computer (Fat32) and then seeing if you can format in the camera? I am guessing that you currently don't have an available option to format in-camera (usually the case with 'unknown media'). Let me know.. if the card continues to act up you may want to send it to us to run a quick diag..

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Sep 27, 2014 at 5:04:34 pm

... happen to me once (EX3).. don't laugh on me, but my solution was simply blow AIR a couple of times on the camera card reservoir...

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 27, 2014 at 6:48:38 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, the card had the BPAV structure -- I was always able to offload the media from the card, from the Express Card/34 slot in my 2008 MacBook Pro. As a precaution, I took the card out of service during my shoot. Since then, I've tested it some more, with these results.

1. Inserted into Slot B. Got same warning.
2. Tried same card in Slot A. Worked perfectly.
3. Re-inserted same card in Slot B. Worked perfectly.

I do not recall for sure whether I switched slots earlier when the problem first arose. I think I did, but I can't swear to it.

I haven't tried Enrique's technique of blowing air into the slot. Is that a recommended procedure? If so, canned air or airbulb?

Ian, given that the card now works, but that it did not work, should I send the card in, or not? Is there some sort of diagnostic procedure I could run here to evaluate the card and the slot?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 28, 2014 at 8:10:17 pm

I just checked my own EX1R with a flashlight and noticed some dust on the card guides of both slots A and B. The connection pins inside each slot are straight and shiny and don't seem to be contaminated with anything. The actual SxS cards connect with the slot pins using flat copper-like plates on one side of the interface and should not be tarnished or dusty.

I'm going out on a limb here and will suggest that your card is probably okay but that the connection(s) was dirty. Interesting that the connection between card and your Macbook Pro's Express 34 slot was fine though.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Oct 3, 2014 at 3:44:31 pm

Use an air can and spray slot out. Reformat a few cards in it. Try recording to the card, pop card out, place it back in, check media recorded ok. Reformat card, so this a few times, shoot, test, reformat. If problems continues send it to Sony!

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]