FORUMS: list search recent posts

SHooting in PAL Sony EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
SHooting in PAL Sony EX1
on Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08:00 pm

Hi Guys,

A quick question. In the menu on the Sony EX1 you can choose Country for NTSC or PAL. The menu gives the option of shooting at 25P If I switch to PAL will it actually record in PAL Format at 1080 25P?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
Re: SHooting in PAL Sony EX1
on Jul 24, 2014 at 8:22:00 pm

Hi Greg,
If switch from NTSC to PAL recording format the default setting will be 1080/50i. So if you want to record 1080/25P you have to select this frame rate within the PAL format menu.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:00:16 pm

My question is can we shoot in PAL? I guess your answer is yes. Correct?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:37:27 pm

I've shot in PAL ever since I had my EX 1 when it came out, is there any other way? (Sorry, just being European!).

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Jul 27, 2014 at 8:36:03 pm
Last Edited By Marek Bilski on Jul 27, 2014 at 8:36:55 pm

Yes, you are correct. You can shoot NTSC if you want to, and you can switch to PAL if you want to. Not like the old tape format where the cameras were either NTSC or PAL.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:38:05 am

You're not actually shooting "Pal" though, since it's actually an analogue coding format.
Sony have used the words Pal/NTSC area to switch between either recordings that are 25/50Hz based, or 30/60Hz.
I assume it was done this way because either it takes a while to swap between 25 and 30 Hz clock rates, or maybe it is to simplify the users choices when they're out in the field.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:02:56 am

The differences are that PAL delivers a scanning/frame rate of 25fps with 625 lines, while NTSC delivers a scanning/frame rate of 29.97fps using 525 lines. A TV signal is made from interlaced half frame, hence the 25fps in 50Hz countries and 30fps in 60Hz countries.

So to clarify, if you shoot in a PAL country you'd go all the way with your workflow, from shooting to editing and transmission... So if you want to edit your footage and drop it in a timeline, the same applies to NTSC format.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]