FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC XDCAM Field Flicker Final Cut Pro7

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Neumann
JVC XDCAM Field Flicker Final Cut Pro7
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:38:20 pm

Hi,

I'm in the final stages of a multi-part series. Client has been seeing 'flickers" in the interview footage shot with JVC GY 700. As you may know, that camera produces .mov files which I can import directly into FCP 7 - no Log and Transfer necessary.

Footage from JVC GY 700: Apple XDCAM EX 1080i50/25fps.

Here's a sample "flicker" from a frame taken from original camera clip.

Here's what a sample "flicker" from that clip looks like in my FCP record/canvas window.

The flicker seems to start in the original camera clip, ends up in FCP and in subsequent exports. How do I get rid of this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: JVC XDCAM Field Flicker Final Cut Pro7
on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:16:26 pm

Have you tried reversing the field order of the clips in FCP? For HD video the field order should be upper field first. Also make sure your sequence settings match your footage settings, including field order.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Neumann
on Jul 21, 2014 at 12:53:54 am

Hi Don,

Thanks for responding! Field order in the clips and FCP sequences match; both are 'upper field first'.

David

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:38:05 pm
Last Edited By Don Greening on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:45:54 pm

The only other time I've seen interlaced tearing like this was from an inexpensive Canon palmcorder. I never did figure out the issue and I ended up rendering it out as progressive instead of interlaced. That cleaned up about 90% of it. I don't know if you've tried something similar but if not then export a small portion of your timeline and get Compressor to convert it from interlaced to progressive. See if that result is acceptable.

The only thing I can think of in the future is to suggest whoever owns the JVC camera to record with a higher shutter speed. Your provided stills suggest that the interlaced combing happens with moderate to fast motion. I suspect that the footage with no motion is fine. If the camera is able to record progressive then try that instead of interlaced if the subject matter allows (interviews etc).

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Neumann
on Jul 22, 2014 at 1:06:59 pm

Hi Don,

I've done a 2 minute test with Compressor which took 33 minutes to render out. It helped a little but took way too long - I've got 6 25 minute programs to process and a deadline looming.

Yesterday we went to a duplication facility to evaluate the footage on broadcast monitors and get another set of eyes on the phenomenon. We didn't see the flicker there.

Given that Compressor takes too long to process we may end up running this through Digital Rapids encoder.

Re Interlaced v progressive: The client wanted it delivered 50i so we chose a shooting format that was closest to the deliverable.

You comment about shutter speed is interesting. You're right that the artifacts are evident when there is moderate or fast motion so perhaps adjusting the shutter speed would have helped.

Thanks for you continued help with this.

Cheers,

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]