FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to record fewer audio tracks on PMW-200?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Duddleson
How to record fewer audio tracks on PMW-200?
on Jul 14, 2014 at 7:20:06 pm

Our studio recently got a set of three Sony PMW-200 cameras. They're great, but...

When we import into Adobe Premiere Pro, every clip comes with 8 audio tracks... it's kind of a nuisance, to be honest. I only want one of those at any given time, and there's going to be a max of 2 or 3 tracks that I ever even want recorded. I'm tired of checking which track is what, and deleting what I don't need.

Is there some way that we can record fewer tracks in the first place? If not, does anyone recommend a workflow for making it less cumbersome to deal with so many tracks, when you only want to use a single track from a clip?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: How to record fewer audio tracks on PMW-200?
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:31:58 pm

Negative. In Avid Media Composer/NewsCutter there are ways to keep all 8 tracks from hitting the timeline but I do not know of a similar trick in Premiere..

Return to posts index

Jose Luis Romano
on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:48:25 pm

Hi!

How can I open an XDCAM file in Media Composer with less numbers of audio channels, ex: from 8 channels to 2 channels?

thanks

jose

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:12:09 pm

While there is no way to filter out unwanted audio tracks when linking/importing, it is possible to keep them from landing in the timeline and needing to be deleted. You can load clips through Avid’s Source monitor and manually de-select the timeline tracks for the unwanted channels or you can use the Modify-->Set Tracks feature in the bin’s right-click menu to de-activate unwanted tracks (including the data track, if desired). Note that the latter method requires briefly un-linking the clips and then relinking them afterwards. This does not remove any material from the master clip files and can be changed back at any time during the workflow.

Method 1:

1. Load your desired clip(s) into the source viewer.

2. Once loaded into the source viewer, you will see a certain number audio tracks appear in the timeline highlighted blue and labeled A1, A2, A3, etc.

3. Deselect the tracks you don't want by clicking on them, and they should become un-highlighted (by turning grey).

4. Then drag the clip(s) from the source viewer to the timeline and you should see only the remaining tracks you have selected populate in the timeline.

Method 2:

If you don't want to load all of your clips into the source viewer prior to putting them into the timeline here is another option:

1. Select all of the clips in your bin.

2. Hold CTRL + ALT + SHIFT (Windows), or CMD + OPTION + SHIFT (Mac) and then right click on the clips while they are selected. (If you are using a standard/one button mouse or track pad on a Mac press and hold CMD + CTRL + SHIFT and click on the clips.)

3. Choose "Unlink" from the right click menu.

4. Select all the clips again, then right click on them and choose "Modify.”

5. From the pull down menu, choose "Set Tracks."

6. Deselect all the tracks you don't want and choose "OK."

7. Select all of the clips in the bin again.

8. Right click on them while they are selected and choose "relink."

9. Deselect the "Relink only to media from the current project" box.

10. In the "Video Parameters" section, under the "Relink to" pull down menu, choose "Any video format"

11. Click OK.

12. Now all of your clips will act as though they only have the tracks you left selected when you modified them. You can always repeat this process and add more tracks if you decide you want to use them again.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:50:43 pm
Last Edited By Clint Fleckenstein on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:52:28 pm

You can solve this in the project bin. Select all your newly-imported XDCAM footage, right-click and select "Modify" and then "Audio Channels..."

This will allow you to set the number of channels you want; in fact, you can even limit it to one if you want, or change channels to be perceived as stereo instead of mono (default).

Cf

Return to posts index

Marc Duddleson
on Jul 15, 2014 at 2:35:24 pm

Thanks! It might be a bit of a pain at first, but once we get used to it, getting rid of those extra audio tracks should save us a lot of time. To be honest, I kinda miss the simplicity of using Fill Left and Fill Right on a single track to choose audio channels from our old cameras, though.

Return to posts index

Mike Ward
on Jul 18, 2014 at 9:28:55 pm

Does that mix all the channels together or do you loose some of the tracks audio inputs?

Return to posts index

Mike Ward
on Nov 9, 2014 at 4:06:30 pm

I Like having 4 audio tracks. I use them as 2 stereo pairs.
One has my rode mic attached, and the other pair is set to the
built in mic on auto as a back up. so if one set is over recorder you can use the other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]