FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing .SMI file -- can I still convert .mp4 file to editable format?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Solesbee
Missing .SMI file -- can I still convert .mp4 file to editable format?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 3:18:24 pm

I had shot an event with my Sony PMW-EX1 & when reviewing the footage that had been dumped onto my computer, I noticed that one of the clips was missing its .SMI file? It also gave me a _xxxx_xx.SLV file in the root folder, which doesn't usually happen. I still have the full MP4 file (it's 2.3 GB big) ... it won't import on XDCAM Transfer but will sometimes play the first 30 seconds of the clip in FCP when I just drag the file directly into the program. I'm very confused, and I haven't encountered this in almost 6 years of working with these types of files. Is there any way to get that full MP4 file to be editable without the .SMI file?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Missing .SMI file -- can I still convert .mp4 file to editable format?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 4:26:28 pm

the lack of the .smi isn't a big problem but the presence of SLV files (stands for 'salvage') indicates a media or camera problem and an incomplete clip. try manually importing this .mp4 to a new archive using Content Browser.

Return to posts index

David Solesbee
on Jul 2, 2014 at 4:30:14 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly. I tried to use the Import function on Content Browser, and it won't import. Is there another way to do what you mentioned? I just downloaded Content Browser last night for the first time (trying to figure this out), so I'm not familiar with the program.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 2, 2014 at 4:49:25 pm

you have to highlight a folder in the Explorer window and then select import. the imported files will go to the folder you have selected. are you getting a "can't import" error? this generally means the file is damaged. if the above doesn't work we may be able to help but please verify that you cannot import first. you can reach me at ian dot cook at am dot sony dot com.

Return to posts index

mike apalucci
on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:46:44 pm

David, I am having the exact same problem as you with "can't import" error that is appearing within Content Browser. Was Ian able to help you...or what did you do in order to solve your problem?

Return to posts index

David Solesbee
on Jul 24, 2014 at 1:41:14 am

Yes, Ian was able to help me after many fruitless hours trying to figure it out on my own. He completely recovered the missing files--how exactly, I don't know. You can contact him at:

ian dot cook at am dot sony dot com.

Return to posts index

mike apalucci
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:29:41 am

Thanks David...so it's

Ian.cook@am.sony.com

Right?

Return to posts index

David Solesbee
on Jul 24, 2014 at 4:02:01 am

Yes, that is correct. He had just posted it that way the first time he sent it to me on here, so I figured that was how he wanted it listed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]